Medex Certificate problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty2303

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon everyone , i have been receiving my medication free using my exemption certificate , this morning i received the threat of a PCN as i don't have a certificate. I phoned them and they have informed me it expired in Jan , i questioned being as a card is no longer issued should they have informed me regarding its expiry. The reply to this was you may have had something by email( i wouldn't have they dont have the email address) , or your GP should have contacted you neither of these happened. I have contacted the Dr to do a new exemption , but does anyone have any experience of this as i potentially have about 5 items a month for the last 6 months to pay for.

Good afternoon everyone , i have been receiving my medication free using my exemption certificate , this morning i received the threat of a PCN as i don't have a certificate. I phoned them and they have informed me it expired in Jan , i questioned being as a card is no longer issued should they have informed me regarding its expiry. The reply to this was you may have had something by email( i wouldn't have they dont have the email address) , or your GP should have contacted you neither of these happened. I have contacted the Dr to do a new exemption , but does anyone have any experience of this as i potentially have about 5 items a month for the last 6 months to pay for.
I heard this on the radio (would have been Radio 4) only recently where the same thing was pointed out, that no reminder is sent out.
There were also claims of nasty letters and threats being made to those caught out, but a reassurance that once sorted out the charges did not have to be paid. There was concern that some might pay the money due to the rough treatment they get, and advice to make a record of when the certificate needs to be renewed.

No idea how they will eventually resolve this but apparently you can check the status of the MedEx online. Sadly the onus is indeed on the patient to ensure renewal.

When I was first prescribed Metformin no one told me I could claim exemption, so I paid for pre-payment card for a year before I found out. There was no option to reclaim what I'd paid unnecessarily. :(

The plastic cards are still issued, and unless things have changed, you should get a reminder letter 1 month before it expirers. Your doctor would not normally remind you, its not their job. Again, unless its changed, when you get new medex you should just be asked to pay for px, not penalty charge, of those you were caught on. Only one check on px is made a month, but if you have a number of px on the one they check you'd be asked to pay for them all.
You may not get checked again, its random.
Your new medex will be backdated one month from the date they receive it so get the new one applied for asap

The GP doesn’t need to tell you your certificate expired, it’s not their responsibility to track the expiry date. It’s your responsibility to ensure that the card is in date whenever you claim exemption. It’s in my diary for august and September that the card expires in September so I apply for a new one in good time.

The plastic cards are still issued, and unless things have changed, you should get a reminder letter 1 month before it expirers. Your doctor would not normally remind you, its not their job. Again, unless its changed, when you get new medex you should just be asked to pay for px, not penalty charge, of those you were caught on. Only one check on px is made a month, but if you have a number of px on the one they check you'd be asked to pay for them all.
You may not get checked again, its random.
Your new medex will be backdated one month from the date they receive it so get the new one applied for asap
thanks for the reply , ive never had a card , i had a letter once to say i had a 5 year exemption but was missplaced some time ago

thanks for the reply , ive never had a card , i had a letter once to say i had a 5 year exemption but was missplaced some time ago
The card comes with the letter. You need to take it with you when you collect a prescription, though they may not ask to see it every time. Mine keep the exemption number on file so that I don’t need to take it each time. Have you applied for a new one now?

yes ive applied for a new one
The card comes with the letter. You need to take it with you when you collect a prescription, though they may not ask to see it every time. Mine keep the exemption number on file so that I don’t need to take it each time. Have you applied for a new one now?
yes ive applied for a new one , definately only got a paper certificate. My chemist had it on file so never asked for it , probably one reason why i misplaced it and didnt realise about renewing it

yes ive applied for a new one

yes ive applied for a new one , definately only got a paper certificate. My chemist had it on file so never asked for it , probably one reason why i misplaced it and didnt realise about renewing it
Make sure to put the renewal date in your diary and keep the certificate wherever you keep your medication? You need to keep it safe as you could be asked to provide it eg if use a different pharmacy for some reason.

Reminds me I should check when mine expires!

Such an easy thing to overlook.

Last time mine expired I missed the renewal letter because we had moved and the address they had on file for the the certificate was the old one. Apparently the address for the exemption certificate needs to be updated separately to the rest of the NHS systems.

Anyhow, I noticed I had been using an expired certificate for about six months without anyone noticing. As the renewed one is only backdated by one month, would still be left with a significant period of unpaid prescriptions. I contacted the NHS about it, and it was difficult to work out what to do, as their recovery process is based on them finding out and asking for the money back. I didn't want to end up on the wrong end of a recovery letter, so I wrote to the recovery team explaining what had happened and included a check for the charges during the period that the certificate was not valid. I never heard anything back either way.

I think the system should use the current address the NHS has on file, it makes no sense having a separate address for the exemption. The exemption system should also take into account chronic life long conditions. It makes no sense having to renew a certificate just for the sake of it when the underlying condition is not going to disappear.

I find it strange that people with a chronic condition with no cure or chance of remission, such as Type 1, have to reapply.
Sadly, that is the case and the onus is on the patient.

If you find it such a pest to note when you need to reapply, move to Scotland. Everybody gets free prescriptions - the government added up the costs of maintaining charges, and making them free, and making them free was cheaper, because the bureaucracy needed to support the old system cost more than they ever received from people paying for their prescriptions.

That calculation hasn't been used by any government in England, but they would find exactly the same as Scotland (and Wales).

Mind you, I'm 70, so don't pay for prescriptions. Live till 60 and you won't need to.

I put notes on the calendar for any renewals and also for chasing annual checks. Mush easier for me to monitor this than for the Practice who are dealing with 1000s of patients. I often receive prompts but if not I have the dates ready for when I need to start chasing.

Even though I had my exemption certificate with the expiry date on it I went on the NHS Business Authority website and checked and that said that I would receive a notification in the post to renew a month before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back