meal plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracy1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
good evening all

im looking at the low carb meal plan and there are a few things on there like mackeral that i dont know if i would like and the baked eggs isnt doable on a work when im up at 4am could i swap the meals about and even swap the mackeral for another type of fish thanks

Yes, I’d think so @tracy1 🙂 Replacing things you don’t like with something similar should be fine, especially if it’s just the protein you’re replacing.

Yes, I’d think so @tracy1 🙂 Replacing things you don’t like with something similar should be fine, especially if it’s just the protein you’re replacing.
thanks im new to this as just been diagnosed type 1 and need to sort my diet out all the other meals etc will be ok milk i can swap for skimmed as i dont like semi and ill give satsumas and oranges a go and melon will have to find an alternative for that as cant stand it but as long as i weigh it accordingly i should be fine

thanks im new to this as just been diagnosed type 1 and need to sort my diet out all the other meals etc will be ok milk i can swap for skimmed as i dont like semi and ill give satsumas and oranges a go and melon will have to find an alternative for that as cant stand it but as long as i weigh it accordingly i should be fine

If you’re Type 1, you can eat a normal healthy diet @tracy1 (sorry - I missed the fact you were Type 1 in my first post to you). I eat cereal, bread, pasta, potatoes, fruit crumble, cheesecake, etc etc along with veg, pulses, protein and dairy. In fact, as you’ve just been diagnosed, you might well need more food to ‘rebuild’ your body.

What insulins are you on and when do you take them?

If you’re on insulin, you shouldn’t do the low carb meal plan without support as you could have a bad hypo. Are you on fixed doses of mealtime insulin?

Last edited:
I see from your previous posts that you were originally thought to be Type 2. Are you still on Insuman? If so, what’s its full name inc. any numbers or letters after the word Insuman? Or have you been changed to new insulins?

I see from your previous posts that you were originally thought to be Type 2. Are you still on Insuman? If so, what’s its full name inc. any numbers or letters after the word Insuman? Or have you been changed to new insulins?
i was diagnosed type 2 years ago and just changed to type 1. i am no longer on insuman but now on humulin i and aprida but i think that is changing soon. i carb count even though i was a type 2 or should i say type 1.5.

im on fixed dose long acting and carb counting for aprida

I'm type 1 and did low carb at first, thinking it made it easier to control by blood sugars.
Then i realised i could control them just as well on normal carbs. Plus low carb just made me more insulin resistant
Plus, i missed bread...

I'm type 1 and did low carb at first, thinking it made it easier to control by blood sugars.
Then i realised i could control them just as well on normal carbs. Plus low carb just made me more insulin resistant
Plus, i missed bread...
i insulin resistant to. i dont know what to do i need to try different food as im getting board on what im currently eating and i know i need to get a varied diet to make sure im getting everything i need. i need to lose some weight 2st not that my consultant is worried about it but i am. i hate the way i look and feel in clothes im active due to my job so i know its not that so it must be the food side and maybe snacking on incorrect food. i just need something as a guide really to get me started or some sort of advice

i was diagnosed type 2 years ago and just changed to type 1. i am no longer on insuman but now on humulin i and aprida but i think that is changing soon. i carb count even though i was a type 2 or should i say type 1.5.

im on fixed dose long acting and carb counting for aprida

Ok, so if you’re carb counting with the Apidra, you can just eat normally basically. So, plan a normal meal depending on what you want/need, then calculate the carbs in it and inject the appropriate amount of Apidra.

To be clear, “carb counting” means adding up the carbs in a meal to calculate the dose of fast/bolus/meal insulin. It does not mean limiting carbs. Diet only Type 2s have to monitor carbs but that’s something very different.

As @Tdm says, if you eat very low carb it can cause a form of insulin resistance. The best thing to do is to eat a normal healthy diet with plenty of veg and adjust portion sizes if you need to lose or gain weight.

There are a couple of books often recommended for Type 1s here:

Think Like a Pancreas’ by Gary Scheiner.

And Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents and Young People by Ragnar Hanas (ignore the title - it’s great for adults too).

There are also online courses like BERTIE to help you carb count (note that means count and adjust your insulin as I said in my previous post):

Type 1 is a condition where you really need to become your own expert. Most of the burden of control is carried by us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back