Meal plans for Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I'm still struggling to maintain a sensible eating plan and wondered if others have examples of daily meal plans they could share here. At present I either get bored with the healthy meals and then lapse into less healthy or just don't fee satisfied with what I've eaten. I know the general idea of dividing up a plate into a larger percentage of veg, slightly less of carbs and the smaller percentage of protein etc. But it would be interesting to see "real" examples of what one can eat whilst trying to control sugar levels.

good post bananas, will keep an eye at your replies cos i could do with this advice too. iv been reading packets and still dont really know what i am doing. i eat 2 bits of wholemeal toast with edam cheese for breakfast, and a banana, dont normally do lunch and have pasta or rice for dinner, and yawn ..... am getting fed up of it too, dont even know if its a right choice, i got so little advice from the nurse i am totally lost. the only thing i learnt to do is read the carbohydrates of which sugars and keep that below 5.

There is a way to determine what foods you can eat and maintain a near-normal blood sugar level. It can be found in "Blood Sugar 101 - What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes" by Jenny Ruhl, Amazon stock it. However, it would probably not find favour with your Dietician or Diabetes UK, but it is not them that will have to suffer diabetes complications if what they tell you is wrong!

Hmm, I thought this thread would have been more popular. My OH is type 2 on metformin.

He has 1 metformin with breakfast, 1 with his other light meal and 2 with his main meal, so this can swap from evening meal to dinner at Christmas time.

Average day for him is (according to what he tells me 😉 ):

Breakfast: Cereal - not weighed out, just what he feels he needs in a bowl - with semi-skimmed milk. Cereal was shreddies until he got sick of them, now either kellogs multi-grain cornflakes or currently Raisin Wheats (cereal often high sugar).

Lunch: a salad portion and piece of fruit with something hot from canteen or a sandwich - possibly ham salad on brown baguette.

Dinner: pasta with two portions of vegetables - made from a recipe book aimed at diabetics. Often with a salad on the side - prob only another 1 portion of veg as he moans about lettuce :(

Alternative foods:

Weekends I make porridge for breakfast - milk, oats and cinnamon for sweetness, then fresh fruit on top. I've also done cooked breakfast with turkey rashers instead of bacon, multi-grain toast, nothing fried, grilled tomatoes etc.

Have you tried your local library for a source of recipe books so you can browse their options - some of them also have menu advice at the front of the book that might help?
________
Belladonna Shemale

Last edited:
KateF,

You don't say what your OH's blood sugars are. Get him to test before a meal, one hour after a meal and then two hours after a meal. If his reading is back to the pre meal level after 2 hours the carb content of the meal was OK. If not he needs to cut back on carbs. It helps to judge this if you get him to count carbs

I think it is just a case of suck it and see. Go for whole meal varieties of bread and pasta and whole grain brown rice.

You need to work out what is going to give you a high reading, and what you can eat with no effects. Also need to look at the times when you eat and what sort of things you go for. I comfort eat, and I am a bored nibbler. I am trying to replace the chocolate with fruit. Fruit still has sugar, but it is more natural than refined sugar.

Talk to your doctor and ask to be refred to a dietcian or nutritionist who will be ble to help.

I was advised never to skip meals to avoid going hypo

I have found a shop that sells diabetic chocolate with very low carbs, though I get a reaction from the non-bar chocolates with fillings.

Has anybody else found this problem?

KateF,

You don't say what your OH's blood sugars are. Get him to test before a meal, one hour after a meal and then two hours after a meal. If his reading is back to the pre meal level after 2 hours the carb content of the meal was OK. If not he needs to cut back on carbs. It helps to judge this if you get him to count carbs

I think this is good advice as your husband's diet does seem rather high carb, if he can eat like that and have good blood sugars then thats great.

I think for everyone it's seeing what different foods do to you and working out what you can eat and in what proportions

Hope this helps

Hi All,

My levels are generally between 5 and 7 and my HbA1c is 5.7

I have 30g of cereal with 100ml of semi skimmed milk in the morning (Branflakes, 2 weetabix or porridge)

I have an apple or banana mid morning and a packet of salt and vinegar snack a jacks when I'm feeling naughty.

Lunch is 2 slices of granary with sliced turkey or chicken with light salad cream. A Fat free yoghurt.

More fruit i.e. apple or banana and 2 satsumas.

Evening
either a crumpet or slice of granary before tea

Then I will either have some of the following example. (all home cooked - no pre packed foods)

50g uncooked basmlti rice with Chilli or Curry (home cooked)
50g uncooked pasta with a tomatoe based sauce with turkey mince or I have a great Thai mince recipe (will email anyone who wants it)

200 g of beef stew which has lentils, carrots, sweatcorn, peas and baby potatoes in it.

I also have lasagne, pork steak now and again. I try and mix my meeals, so I have rice, pasta and Jacket potatoe with lots of veg.

& The to finish of the day
Fresh Pineapple and fat free yoghurt

I have found a shop that sells diabetic chocolate with very low carbs, though I get a reaction from the non-bar chocolates with fillings.

Has anybody else found this problem?
Hi Peter,

If you are going to eat chocolate eat the 70% + coco type and not the diabetic type.
The diabetic type are like taking laxative's (this is something to do with the ingredients in them) and cost more than normal chocolate. The BBC watch dog did a piece on Diabetic chocolate this week higlighing the problems with diabetic chocolate.

& To be honest I eat chocolate now and again, just have a couple of pieces, it is all about moderation.

Ice Cream

If you want a change from low fat yoghurt etc, Tesco do a sugar free ice cream in amongst their "normal" ones, its called Frank's. To me the taste is no different.

If you want a change from low fat yoghurt etc, Tesco do a sugar free ice cream in amongst their "normal" ones, its called Frank's. To me the taste is no different.

I did try that once at my in-laws house and it was nice, couldn't really tell that it wasn't normal ice cream. But I do wonder about the carb count, is it much different to normal ice cream?

You need to check the nutritional values and look at the bit about carbs. I agree Franks Ice Cream is nice.

Another alternative is to make your own ice cream and yoguhrt. You can then flavour them as you please, and add whatever sweetners you choose. If you use cocoa or chocolate powder for chocolate ice crea, it will tell you about the carbs on the packaging.

Whole milk makes better icecrem, although when I make yghurt I use skimmed milk. It is a case of expeimenting and seeing what happens. A juicer and a liquidser (aka smoothie maker) are wonderfull additions to the kitchen too as you can then also make your own fresh fruit milk shakes too.

Lakeland sell the packs to make your own natural yoghurt under the brand "Easy Yo". You just add cold water to the mix and put it in the container supplied and by the next morning (12 hours) it's set yoghurt. You can then add flavourings to your own taste. (I used to eat their Greek Yoghurt with honey until it became a "no no" when I discovered I had diabetes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back