Meal out last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I went out for a meal with friends last night and i must admit i over indulged, i had full 3 course meal with wine and drinks. I tested 2 hours later which was just after midnight and it was 7.7 which i couldn't believe as i thought it would be in double figures. I then went to bed but was quite thirsty throughout the night and i was drinking water quite a bit. I tested when i got up this morning and it was my highest in a long time 8.2 - do you think that my BS levels were high during the night? i didn't think to test throughout the night though and just took the reading of 7.7 and thought it was OK or was it just too good to be true?

Carbs were probably released much later on as you had lots of different things that night, which all effect each others release of glucose into the blood.....

Its possible that some of the carbs were being released overnight. I wouldnt worry too much however as the odd spike even into double figures isnt a problem so long as you arent like me and always in double figures. If you have a couple of spikes each month it shouldnt cause you too many problems, at max once a week. Just remember to take it easy the rest the time and give your body chance to fix itself if it needs too.

The alcohol may well have suppressed the BG levels too. If the liver was busy with that, i won't have been pushing out glucose into the bloodstream.

It's good to have a blow out now and then.

Rob

Depends what you eat, too. I once turned up at an Indian for a big social meal and realised I'd no insulin with me (I'm a type 1). So I ordered the mixed tandori grill and a salad, wrapped the naan bread up and put it in my bag for lunch tomorrow, got absolutely podged and my levels were normal!

I tend to find that I'm a bit higher in the morning after eating a restaurant meal the previous evening - irrespective of what my after meal test results showed.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back