Me again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbemcc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning, so re last post bg down a lot, but colesterol at 5.1. I have been out on statins to keep everything at a nice level. ( docs words ) they said it wasn't high and had it been 3.1 they would still recommend it. I'm taking it in the short term as I'm determined to be off all meds down the line. Is this common practice. ? Ty

It is common practice/recommendations to prescribe everyone who is over 40 and has diabetes with statins regardless what their cholesterol levels are.
This is because we are higher risk of heart problems.

Some of us chose not to take them but the choice is yours.

It is pretty common practice but it does depend on your GP practice.
I believe that the NICE guidelines are that they should prescribe them if your cholesterol is over 4, if you are diabetic. My cholesterol was 5.2 at diagnosis but my nurse actually said that due to my active lifestyle and low risk factors and good ratios she didn't consider that I needed them. My consultant seems to be in agreement with that and despite my quite high fat diet, my levels are steadily reducing on a low carb way of eating and I my last result was 4.5. I am very happy with this individual approach to prescribing rather than routinely dishing them out without consideration of the patient's individual risk factors. There is a lot that is still unknown about cholesterol levels and dietary fat but neither are the evil that they have been portrayed to be during most of my lifetime.
I am happy that my HCPs are not recommending or pushing me to take statins but that is because I really don't like to take medication if I don't need to and I believe some of the research/knowledge on fat and cholesterol may be flawed. That is just the opinion I have come to.

Since I was diagnosed with T2 nearly two years ago my cholesterol has been 5.1 - 5.7 and now 5.1. My GP has never suggested I take statins as I have a lot of 'good' cholesterol. I asked what level I should be concerned and he said not to worry unless it was 7.0. I wouldn't want to be taking statins anyway, but I would tweak my diet if levels started rising.

Yes it does seem to be standard to offer statins to anyone with diabetes over 50, because of the additional risk of CV events even with well managed diabetes.

Some HCPs are happy to have individual discussions with people based on their qrisk scores, the breakdown of their different lipid components (and the ratios between them) which some research suggests can have a substantial impact on individual risk.

I was reading on Twitter a few days ago someone reporting that amongst the post heart attack patients he has been seeing the percentage of people with lower than average levels of cholesterol has been increasing over time, and it is now over 60 percent, and it is not a recent change.
He seemed quite perplexed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back