Maybe I shouldnt bother with Sprouts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My normal pre prepared sprouts had been substituted for other sprouts that needed washing and removing of the stalk etc, so I did this and then popped back in the bag pierced it and promptly set fire to the microwave, this was at the weekend, so I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and got another microwave. Not any other damage (apart from black sprouts!)

So today, I carefully prepared some sprouts and popped them in a saucepan to cook, turned them down low, with plenty of water and the runner beans I was having for todays lunch with meat free sausages! I just took a call on teams and then heard the smoke alarm, rushed off to the kitchen and there were these sad little blackened sprouts at the bottom of the pan, some were salvageable but should I take this as a message not to eat sprouts! One of the reasons I used to use the microwave is I could get on with my work without worrying about the pain boiling dry, oh well the sausages tasted good.

Sorry, but that did make me laugh!

I would say.... third time lucky! But maybe I am an optimist 🙄
It would be such a shame not to have sprouts particularly at this time of year and they are so good for you as long as you don't incinerate or nuc them!

Sorry, but that did make me laugh!

I would say.... third time lucky! But maybe I am an optimist 🙄
It would be such a shame not to have sprouts particularly at this time of year and they are so good for you as long as you don't incinerate or nuc them!
I love sprouts too, so will persevere 🙂

Sounds like one of my misadventures! How to burn a cup of tea in easy lessons. Turn on the gas hob low. Place the teapot on the hob to warm. Add the leaf tea. Forget to add the hot water. When the smoke alarm goes off - panic!

You need one of those smart speakers to remind you when to check on sprouts.

Burnt few pans over years especially when boiling milk, last time was morning porridge but it tasted great, bit like skin on home made rice pudding.

Sprouts can only be baked in the oven with a couple of rashers of streaky bacon.

Sprouts!! I hate them, I do eat them though but soaked in a mint sauce, it's the only way that makes them palatable for me. Even the word 'Brussels' makes me cringe.....:(

Sprouts!! I hate them, I do eat them though but soaked in a mint sauce, it's the only way that makes them palatable for me. Even the word 'Brussels' makes me cringe.....:(
I'm sure I read someone suggesting that the problem is when they're boiled (or microwaved) in that that just doesn't get them hot enough, and roasting or frying can make them much nicer (I'm thinking with garlic because I like roasted garlic).

(I haven't been excited enough to actually try it.)

We have grown sprouts this year so had them a bit more than usual ( I only have one or two as they don’t like me.) I like them just par boiled, cut in half and fried in butter with pancetta and chestnuts for Christmas. Or just steamed or in a curry or pilau rice. Back in the day when I was nowt but a nipper, my mam would have started boiling the sprouts today so they were ready for Christmas! :rofl:

2 mins in the microwave for me is just perfect. I sometimes then have them with sour cream and chive dip which also works well with broccoli and is a staple on my shopping list as I use it with raw veggie sticks too and as a coting for cauliflower before sprinkling grated hard cheese on top.

They are good with stilton as well as are parsnips.
What you mean you don't need to put them to boil on Christmas Eve.

We were always taught not to harvest parsnips, sprouts or swede before the first good frost because that was what made them sweeter but I think modern day varieties have been bred not to need this and probably a good thing too because we rarely get a really good frost before Christmas these days.

I used to hate sprouts until I pressure cooked them for 1 minute in the Ninja Foodi with some disolved Knorr beef stock. Now I really like them.

We were always taught not to harvest parsnips, sprouts or swede before the first good frost because that was what made them sweeter but I think modern day varieties have been bred not to need this and probably a good thing too because we rarely get a really good frost before Christmas these days.
We’ve had all of the above from the garden this week, all picked before yesterday’s frost! We’d wait forever these days for a really hard frost.

Interesting article about sweet potatoes. Maybe the same applies to sprouts.

Isn’t it a genetic thing with sprouts? Some enzyme or other that means some people taste sprouts as really bitter.

I love em too. But the prep is a bit of a faff from our veg box.

We just steam ours for a few minutes. Yum!

Love sprouts but feel your pain, lost count of the times I have let boiled eggs dry out, the smell is horrendous!
Also reminds me of the time when my daughter was very young I used to boil up her dummies to sterilise them. Fell asleep on sofa, woke to a house full of smoke, had to open all windows. Dummies had all melted into one huge plastic multicoloured pancake in the sauspan with all the silicone teats standing up proud and untouched, fell about laughing but pan was ruined and the thought passed through my mind that it would be useful to an alien baby with multiple mouths. Rosie slept through it all but I was in big trouble the next day, cost me a fortune to buy new ones, most expensive of course, nothing else would do. In fact she only tolerated most expensive everything, milk formulae, nappies, bottles, dummies. Now she is even more expensive, driving lessons started.......sigh.

I used to love sprouts with salad cream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back