Mastermind and University Challenge!

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Somehow I missed them starting a few weeks ago so need to watch them on iPlayer. They are on tonight and every Monday on BBC2 at 7:30 and 8:30 respectively! 🙂

Don’t forget Only Connect in between the two, that’s my favourite, even if I can’t do many of the questions. (and my Alma Mater got beaten by Open University in last week's UC)

Watched all three this evening then turned over to bbc4 for some vintage quiz shows ,Call my bluff and Going for a song .

What chance Robert Robinson would get a job as a quiz show host these days with that comb over and referring to the rather dim young lady contestant as "my dear", even though he was rather good at the job.

Used to watch those programmes in my youth - probably saw those two that were on last night when they were first broadcast.

We tend to forget that they were mostly done live. Absolutely no second chances. I once went to the Tomorrow's World studio when Raymond Baxter presented it. Arrived to an empty studio in the morning and although they had the segments organised, the set and all the detail was all worked out during the day. They had a technical run through at 5:00pm,took a short break and then did a live broadcast at 7:00pm. Absolutely amazing to watch.

What chance Robert Robinson would get a job as a quiz show host these days with that comb over and referring to the rather dim young lady contestant as "my dear", even though he was rather good at the job.

Used to watch those programmes in my youth - probably saw those two that were on last night when they were first broadcast.

We tend to forget that they were mostly done live. Absolutely no second chances. I once went to the Tomorrow's World studio when Raymond Baxter presented it. Arrived to an empty studio in the morning and although they had the segments organised, the set and all the detail was all worked out during the day. They had a technical run through at 5:00pm,took a short break and then did a live broadcast at 7:00pm. Absolutely amazing to watch.
Years ago when the concept of DNA and kids being able to extract DNA from things like onions, kiwi fruit or bacteria in school our lab was chosen by Channel 4, I think it was for a program presented by Jon Snow doing a demonstration, we had prepared multiple sets of 'stuff' but he kept fluffing his lines and we were in grave danger of running out as they were a one shot. The producer then said he didn't like what it looked like, a glob of snot, we said but that is what it looks like and anyway kids like that sort of thing.
Eventually they got it done.

Watched all three this evening then turned over to bbc4 for some vintage quiz shows ,Call my bluff and Going for a song .

Yes, the "my dear" jarred a bit, and also two of the contestants smoking cigarettes, but fascinating to see it again after 50 years. Both shows among my parents' favourite programmes.

Years ago when the concept of DNA and kids being able to extract DNA from things like onions, kiwi fruit or bacteria in school our lab was chosen by Channel 4, I think it was for a program presented by Jon Snow doing a demonstration, we had prepared multiple sets of 'stuff' but he kept fluffing his lines and we were in grave danger of running out as they were a one shot. The producer then said he didn't like what it looked like, a glob of snot, we said but that is what it looks like and anyway kids like that sort of thing.
Eventually they got it done.
Don't know about Jon Snow but once you met Raymond Baxter you would never forget him. He arrived at the studio mid morning - a tall, aloof, elegant man who seemed slightly apart from everything going on around him. He had his personal assistant in tow...a young lady 30 or so years his junior in the shortest skirt and longest leather boots you had ever seen (this was in the early seventies)... and was referred to by the production staff as the great wet f**t.

It was only when he came to do our bit that you realised what a talent he had. He came over, talked to us about our project, asked questions and then walked away to be by himself. He came back and gave a summary of the project far better than anything we could have put together had we been given a week. We made a couple of suggestions to correct factual errors and he did it again, word for word but with the corrections made. With this, off he went. In the run through later he did it again, word for word, and then live on the broadcast. No script, no autocue, he just did it, and he did it for every item in the programme he fronted.

Quite amazing.

There is no Mastermind tonight and next week (09/09) but Only Connect and University Challenge are on a per usual.

There is no Mastermind tonight and next week (09/09) but Only Connect and University Challenge are on a per usual.
As are Call My Bluff and Going for a Song at 9pm on BBC4!

Back