Maryland runner Doug Masiuk hits road in fight against diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
He started running in San Francisco, but that?s not where Doug Masiuk?s story begins. For that, you?d have to pinpoint the moment in time his immune system started attacking the cells in his pancreas responsible for producing insulin.

To get to San Francisco, you?d have to fast-forward through teenage years of self-doubt, lethargy in his 20s and, finally, find the resurgence of his 30s. Then you?d be at the starting point.

Earlier this month, Masiuk, from Annapolis, Md., started a quest to run across the country to raise awareness for Type 1 diabetes, the disease everyone assumed would kill him and instead has given him a reason to live.

That?s right. Run. From San Francisco to New York City in 127 days.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/54408154-77/masiuk-running-francisco-san.html.csp

Personally, I think it is over-dramatising to call a diagnosis of Type1 a 'death sentence' - a journalist's hyperbole! I have never felt like that about my diagnosis, nor have I ever felt it would affect my lifespan. If anything, the discipline and knowledge I have acquired have made a long and healthy life more likely 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back