Married at First Sight participant had her diabetes edited out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The BBC reports on Tasha Jay's disappointment with the final cut of the program, where all the scenes related to her diabetes were edited out.

No official word from Channel 4 on why they edited her diabetes out, which does seem a rather odd decision.

That is odd. I presume they decided that including enough of the material for it to make sense would make it too long so decided to cut it all. Seems a bit hard to believe.

Well I fully expect they made her sign an agreement giving them the sole rights on what they showed on air and signing her rights away for so long. Unfair contract terms Oh yes. BUT she's most unlikely to challenge it, there is not a penny piece of Legal Aid available under Civil Law, it's solely for Criminal Law cases.

Hard to judge just from the writing, but I don't get the impression that she's furious enough to want to take legal action even if that looked feasible. It sounds more like annoyance. Hope the producers clear up what happened, though there's a pretty good chance they won't say anything much.

Weird as it seems they included another contestant’s OCD. A brief explanation of Type 1 would have been ok. Apart from anything else, it would have been a good education opportunity about hypos as scary amounts of the general public think you treat hypos with insulin.

I am torn by this as someone who wants to show that diabetes does not stop me doing what I want and this is an opportunity to educate the viewers about diabetes. On the other hand, diabetes does not define me and if this woman is interesting without mentioning diabetes, then maybe she should be proud how it does not define her either.
The program is entertainment and maybe the producers felt they did not want to have the "achieving despite... " back story for too many of their participants. It can get a bit boring hearing about the challenges BGT contestants have overcome when judging their performance, for example.

Maybe she (and the program) will get a bigger diabetes story now she has highlighted it than if it was included. The BBC would not publish an article about MAFS otherwise.

Last edited:
Having suffered prejudice against diabetes most of my life I think it should have been included especially if it showed that you can lead a normal life. I did not watch this as it is not my type of programme but many who watch this type of "entertainment" are small minded individuals with various prejudices. Most times I have seen diabetes featured it is of the "Shelly has gone missing. She hasn't got her insulin and will DIE in eight hours!" type!

Just out of interest, how long would us t1s last without insulin, say, if we didn't eat?
(Prob longer than a non t1 would last without water, would be my guess..)

Before insulin was available the treatment for T1 was starvation, and I think they used to last a few months or even years, but it must have been utterly miserable. I read the book about a young lady who was one of the first to ever receive insulin injections, I’ve forgotten all the details though! I shall have to dig it out and read it again!

Just out of interest, how long would us t1s last without insulin, say, if we didn't eat?
Not an experiment I fancy trying

A pretty bad way in 48 hours? (Estimation.) So if “little Shelly” (in the plot line.) goes missing for 40 hours. There is a possibility it might not end well.

Water is 2 days to a week, so t1 without insulin isn't too much more vulnerable than a non t1 without water. Probably people could last months/years if still in honeymoon period

57 years ago a the young (guessing he would be about 80 ,now) Type I where my late mother worked raced to Aberfan after the colliery spoil slip, forgetting his insulin. He toiled there got three days surviving on tea and sandwiches before driving back. Mum said apart from being tired he seemed fine but was haunted by all the bodies he saw for weeks. Being young I decided to try no insulin with a lot of exercise. My urine sugar and ketones went off the scale after a day!

Last edited:
Home ketone testing 50 odd years ago????? It's taken me the next 50 years to get the means to do so, on repeat prescription!

Oh - PS - I actually reckon that porcine (dunno about bovine as never used it) insulin was more protective generally than any modern insulin (though crap at other things we know) but there again no great surprise there because of the similarity between humans and pigs.

Home ketone testing 50 odd years ago????? It's taken me the next 50 years to get the means to do so, on repeat prescription!
Strange. I seem to remember (along with the clinitest kit.) some aspirin sized tablets placed on a tissue with a drop of pee, that would turn purple if the presence of ketones?

Possible/likely presence thereof never ever mentioned to me by anyone medical, for decades ! Inpatient treatment in hospital (not my usual one) following breaking my patella a few years ago with BG 20+ changed that.

Yes, those are the ones!
Thanks. It was a strange ritual (to my child’s eye.) in addition to appeasing the orange “test tube demon.” 😉
I thought my mum was making this stuff up? (Muttering the word “ketones.”) But it would have been instructions from the hospital that I wasn’t privy to on diagnosis.

Obviously it depends on the individual, their starting blood sugar, age, etc etc, and also what basal insulin they’re on as that will gradually peter out, giving some control initially. After that, DKA can set in within hours. The figures I was told was two days to two weeks as a rough idea.

Children in particular can die very quickly. That’s why it’s drummed into us to never stop your insulin. When I was admitted to hospital at diagnosis, the doctor said I could go into a coma within two hours. Type 1s can’t live without insulin. Without insulin, Type 1 is fatal. Before insulin was discovered and purified, Type 1 was a terminal disease.

I know we all know that, but it bears emphasising for the casual reader.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back