Managing Type 1 is hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first comment is quite telling though

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 11.25.08.png

Do you know which year the data is from? It only gives months underneath. If it's 2020 so start of the pandemic it would seem to suggest that lockdown brought increased control for the people studied :confused: . So then they would need to look at confounding factors such as differences in stress, differences in diet while unable to access most restaurants even to take out etc (maybe they did in the study?)

Do you know which year the data is from? It only gives months underneath. If it's 2020 so start of the pandemic it would seem to suggest that lockdown brought increased control for the people studied :confused: . So then they would need to look at confounding factors such as differences in stress, differences in diet while unable to access most restaurants even to take out etc (maybe they did in the study?)
Jan to June 2020

Those are the TIR numbers. While I'm sure most people who get a CGM are fine with sharing access to the data I'd guess it would be a nightmare trying to collect it all so we're stuck with this more limited data. But HbA1c is likely easier to collect for just about everyone and I think the NHS does that.

In retrospect that seems a bit of a missed opportunity: if they'd planned it just a bit better maybe they could have come up with some way to collect basic TIR data for everyone (or those who consented)?

I usually meet the target, until I have a Libre sensor that seems especially prone to being squished in the night, when my % below 4 goes up. Wonder how they accounted for that.

I usually meet the target, until I have a Libre sensor that seems especially prone to being squished in the night, when my % below 4 goes up. Wonder how they accounted for that.
I don't see any reference in the paper so I presume they ignore such things and just take the (de-identified) data as is.

Yes I also fail at the TIR targets for below range results but partly because the original Libre read lower than BG for me by about 1mmol. The Libre 2 sensors seem to be doing better and a bit more accurate, so my time below is improving, but I sleep best between 3.5 and 6, so it is a fine line not dropping into the red, especially if I have no evening basal on board, so I am not going to drop significantly lower and 3.5 is not unreasonable for a non diabetic person during the night so in some respects I resent not being allowed to let my body be normal. Plus I am concerned for my dental health needing to eat JBs through the night so frequently!

My Libre currently thinks my TIR is 94%, 5% above and 1% below. I'm finding Libre 2 sensors read a bit high, so it's probably more likely 1% above and 5% below, but still I'm baffled by the figures in the picture as I am particularly prone to hypos so would expect most people to do better than I do in terms of keeping those below 4%. Also baffled by the comment - I eat what I like and bolus for it, I like sugary carbs, and my main problem is having too many hypos :confused:

Indeed. It tells me to avoid obsessive food control 🙄 Interestingly, I eat plenty of carbs, have an excellent HbA1C and am not at all angry :D I also have very good hypo awareness unlike a major proponent of the extreme diet that person is into.
That puts you in a very small % of the T1 population though as the stats show... well done.

Indeed. It tells me to avoid obsessive food control 🙄 Interestingly, I eat plenty of carbs, have an excellent HbA1C and am not at all angry :D I also have very good hypo awareness unlike a major proponent of the extreme diet that person is into.
Hi!

That is the D.A.F.N.E (dose adjustment for normal eating) approach, which as a type 1, is what I have followed.

Works "relatively" well for me (given type 1 is a serious and difficult condition to manage) if eating at typical intervals (several hours apart), but when I've tried eating in between these hours, plays havoc with levels.

Seems one needs to let bolus insulin run its course before the next dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back