Managing T1D during GCSE’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cous25

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello everyone. We have a 16year old child (diagnosed with T1D in Aug’20) currently taking her GCSE’s and seemingly struggling with her levels. We’ve noticed she’s running very high allot of time around exams and I wonder whether it’s stress induced. Anyone else’s child going through GCSEs and how are you/they managing their levels?

Hello everyone. We have a 16year old child (diagnosed with T1D in Aug’20) currently taking her GCSE’s and seemingly struggling with her levels. We’ve noticed she’s running very high allot of time around exams and I wonder whether it’s stress induced. Anyone else’s child going through GCSEs and how are you/they managing their levels?
@Lily123 has just gone through a period of exams so may be able to offer some words of wisdom as she really seems to have a handle of managing her condition.

Quite likely stress can interfere with blood sugar levels. Is she on injections or a pump? Does she know how to give herself correction doses of insulin?

Quite likely stress can interfere with blood sugar levels. Is she on injections or a pump? Does she know how to give herself correction doses of insulin?
She’s on injections (can anyone get a pump these days!!) and is very comfortable taking correction doses. It’s more about whether stress/exams can lead to odd levels?

She’s on injections (can anyone get a pump these days!!) and is very comfortable taking correction doses. It’s more about whether stress/exams can lead to odd levels?
Definitely, any disturbance to routine can mess with levels. As can loads of other things.
Probably a bit late to mention this if you haven’t sorted it already, but have you arranged for her to have a room on her own and breaks if she needs to deal with any diabetes problems? She’s entitled to this.

Any type of stress can and will affect our BG. I had a hospital appt yesterday for something previously unexpected - biennial NHS bowel cancer screening test result showed blood in stool sample so am recommended to have a colonoscopy, which I've obviously agreed to so that was arranged, hey ho and both BG and BP shot through the roof. Mind you if I had a call to give me good news, that would most likely do the same, cos it has in the past. Things you're excited about as well as things that are a PITA - it's just the effect that adrenalin has on BG - and you can't stop your body producing adrenalin, so we're stuck with that.

I always tended to run low during the exams themselves (whether GCSEs, A-Levels or University), though these days I can either run high or low depending on the type of stress (I should probably try to determine what makes the difference - certainly not exams these days though! 😉).

My preference back in the day would be to aim to run higher rather than lower (i.e. I would eat a snack shortly before the an exam), which while not ideal, is better than going low as you don't (well at least you didn't back in my day) get the time back.

I would usually need to eat during the exams even with my pre-exam snacks. Take something that's quiet to unwrap and eat (and if it's warm, chocolate is a pain to eat quietly and unobtrusively without getting it all over your fingers and then the exam script!)

Best of luck to her with her exams.

I ran a bit higher during exams, around 8. Not because I was avoiding any risk of going low, but because that’s what it was.

Has your daughter got exam arrangements such as rest breaks (must have!) and alternative room. Some people prefer to be in the main hall but if your daughter would prefer alternative room then your daughters school should accommodate this.

How are your daughters exams going?

Stress definitely impacts glucose levels, so exams will be doing that. I hope that she has arrangements in place for rest breaks if needed, and also able to test/scan her levels as necessary.

I hope that her exams go well.

Definitely, any disturbance to routine can mess with levels. As can loads of other things.
Probably a bit late to mention this if you haven’t sorted it already, but have you arranged for her to have a room on her own and breaks if she needs to deal with any diabetes problems? She’s entitled to this.
Yes for all the necessary arrangements in place at school so at least that’s sorted.

Hi @Cous25

Stress releases hormones like cortisol and adrenalin which can make it harder for insulin to work properly which then causes blood sugar levels to rise. Rest breaks which have been suggested above sound like a really good idea so that she can get less overwhelmed!

Best of luck to her for her exams!

My son was diagnosed in March this year and is currently sitting his exams. He got his CGM last week and this has made us more aware of what affect it’s having on his BG. He’s stayed within range so far in the 4s and 5s but school arranged another room and They have a table at the side of him with his phone for his CGM and his testing kit as well as some haribo and other things if goes too low.
He has been treating it like getting ready for when he plays football. But after football he’s always high and once the adrenaline stops he drops low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back