Managing Non-Covid Viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well I went to the GP this morning, still feeling rough I’ve been off work for a week now with bad headaches and generally feeling unwell (tired, nausea sometimes, dizziness).

The verdict was, it’s probably a viral illness. Typical, spend years trying to avoid one particular virus (Covid!) and get totally wiped out by a different one. With immune systems running low after all the lack of mingling, lots of bugs going round, and diabetes making it harder to fight things off, it seems Covid isn’t the only thing you can be floored by. Genuinely didn’t think I could ever be off for 2 weeks with what’s essentially a cold bug.

Advice was more time off work, lots of painkillers, drink 3L minimum per day (blimey struggling with that), get eyes checked (all ok), get a carbon monoxide alarm (done and all ok ), eat well, keep a BG diary and note of symptoms being worse/better, and try to keep really tight bg control.

So where do I start with sorting BGs out whilst ill? Testing and correcting lots or changing ratios or what?

Here’s todays BGs so far if it helps. Can’t remember what insulin I did though. Doses have been a bit random gut feel based whilst ill.

02:19am 8.4 (woke needing painkillers)

09:54 8.9 pre breakfast. Piece of toast. Bolused but not sure how much. Did my lantus at normal dose.

13:03 10.4 pre lunch. Another piece of toast. Bolused again.

15:16 8.6. 20g carb 4.5u. Bolused for a pear plus correction plus a bit extra for luck, in an attempt to widen my feeling ill diet from toast. Probably won’t eat all the pear but hopefully bg will drop a bit.

I’ve had a cold with accompanying dizziness and stomach problems too. There are some nasty viruses around. After some days of higher sugars, I suddenly had days of low sugars 🙄 The motto of that is to assume nothing! I just corrected as needed - either with insulin or with glucose/carbs.

I hope you feel better soon. X

I’ve had a cold with accompanying dizziness and stomach problems too. There are some nasty viruses around. After some days of higher sugars, I suddenly had days of low sugars 🙄 The motto of that is to assume nothing! I just corrected as needed - either with insulin or with glucose/carbs.

I hope you feel better soon. X
I hope you’re feeling better soon. I might just try and remember to do small corrections more often, have sort of just been injecting before I eat but also not feeling like eating much so not actually correcting much!

I find keeping on top of the blood sugar highs helps, as if I go above 11ish, I feel really rough. So I correct whenever I feel I need to. I’ve been eating a lot of soup, which went down ok. I also had some plain crackers and a sugary ice lolly. Keeping hydrated is the main thing, but carefully getting back to eating does help too. It’s a total pain really.

Little and often @Lucyr - supposed to test and do whatever needed every 2 hrs. PITA Oh Yes. Just flippin do it though mate.

I find keeping on top of the blood sugar highs helps, as if I go above 11ish, I feel really rough. So I correct whenever I feel I need to. I’ve been eating a lot of soup, which went down ok. I also had some plain crackers and a sugary ice lolly. Keeping hydrated is the main thing, but carefully getting back to eating does help too. It’s a total pain really.
The high bgs do make you feel worse, and I can’t remember the reasoning why but make it slower to heal too so double whammy!

Soup sounds a good idea, I don’t normally drink enough and so struggling with the fluid a bit. My glass is 250ml and I’ve had 5 so far today, 12 per day is going to be a struggle!

One hour after bolusing for the pear, though immediately after finishing actually eating it, I’m 8.3 so might get BG down to my preferred levels soon.

2hrs post pear &correction, 7.3. Looks like the answer to getting bgs down might just be “actually eat and take some flipping insulin sometimes”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back