Managing diabetes under sedation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

runner

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Got to have a tooth out (an old root canal filing no longer viable). dentist tried pulling out using local anaesthetic, but it didn;t numb the tooth - ouch! Now got to go to hospital and have another go, possibly with sedation - does anyone have any experience of managing insulin etc following sedation?

Never had a problem to date following a surgical procedure, the usual advice is to keep fluids up, eat normally and monitor blood glucose for the following 24 hours. Ask your dsn if you have any concerns regarding this procedure.

I'd suggest a few things things, some so obvious that you'll be doing them anyway:
(1) ask your diabetes team, so that they can advise both you and the dental team - do this now, as it might take time to get in touch
(2) have some soft food / drink / source of CHO to hand eg cartons of fruit juice or milkshake
(3) have some painkillers to hand - might be supplied by dental team, having but some paracetemol or whatever you usually take is wise - much better than having to find some to buy if in pain
(4) test blood sugar regularly and adjust insulin doses, accounting for dental treatment as stress

A couple of years back my dentist tried to remove a tooth and it broke in the gum. She then said she wasn't qualified to continue with the tooth in that state - and would refer me to the dental hospital.

Apparently the referrals can take several weeks. I rang the dental hospital who said to come in the morning as an emergency and bring the referral - they may do the work then but if not I would have avoided the wait to get on the waiting list.

They did the work and the local injections they gave me worked a lot faster than those at a general dentist, and seemed to last longer. I think hospitals can give a larger dose of local so you may find you don't need the sedation.

I wasn't sedated through tooth removal ... however over the years i've had a number of operations ... removal of my appendix and the other main one being 24 hours after i'd had a c-section i'd started bleeding internally and had to undergo another operation to clean out the blood, I've a gorgeous scar from just under my chest to just above my pubic bone.

When I was sedated I was put onto the slide and scale which is a constant intake of insulin - finger pricked every 1 -2 hours after going onto the slide and scale. They may have to consider doing this for you also! Even going in to get my coil changed they do this for me as they sedate me to do this - Normally means i'm in overnight also.

Just thought I'd mention this incase that's what they've planned for you!!

XxXxX

Thanks for the advice all - already have an appointment for the procedure in November, and due to see consultant for Diabetes check on thursday, so will check. yes, the dentist said may not need sedation, but as this is 2nd time locals haven't worked, I'm sceptical. Dentist at hospital said i could go home if sedated, but need someone with me, which is fine - will teach OH how to test, as I gather you are a bit 'in and out of it' after sedation.

good idea copepod, will make sure i have things to hand.

Not looking forward to it, but am looking forward to loosing tooth and eating on that side again!

With my impacted wisdom teeth, I was refered to the maxillofacial clinic...

The should be able to do it with out putting you under, I had all my impacted wisdom teeth and a broken root out with a face freeze, all a month before I due to get married😱

If they sedate you may mean that you go in as an inpatient at the hospital, so that they can use a sliding scale to maintain your blood glucose levels.. Means that you go into hospital the afternoon before so they can monitor you fasting, then in the morning set the sliding scale up for the operation.. Once you out and are around they are statified alls well, you can go home that day..

They may however choose to use gas and air, to sedate you to a lesser degree, where you recover...

But it worth ensuring that you've got a soft diet available for a day or two and straws..

Just wondering doe's all of the above apply for type 2 on insulin as well,i got a front tooth thats nearly out but got a lot of nerve pain so visiting dentist today.
My new best is friend paracetamol:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back