Managing diabetes easier thanks to new technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No one wants to hear, ?You?ve got diabetes.? But people living with diabetes can take comfort in knowing that new technologies and better diabetes education are making management of the disease more user-friendly.

Naperville resident Donald DeJohn, 58, has had difficulty managing his glucose levels over the past several years. He was beginning to have diabetes complications, including neuropathy, numbness in his hands and feet. And this summer, DeJohn?s weight was down 40 pounds compared to a year earlier because his cells were beginning to starve from a lack of insulin.

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/n...abetes-easier-thanks-to-new-technologies.html

A bit pie in the sky for most of us here - especially Type 2s. Can you imagine a Type 2 in this country with a pump and CGM? 😱

Are there no type 2's using pumps to deliver insulin on the NHS? Might sound a stupid question as in most cases the answer would be absolute NO given the problems type 1's have in getting one, but surely under special circumstances type 2's would also be eligible where complications are starting to set in and all else has failed.

Wonder who paid for Sir Steve's? LOL

Wonder who paid for Sir Steve's? LOL

Sir Steve I should think 🙄

He's cited on one of the pump manufacturer's sites as a strange, non-specific cause. But presumably he can get what he wants for his face on thier website.

I suppose he did work quite hard to get where he did. 🙂

Rob

There was some contention about which flavour he had but I think it's T2 treated in pretty much every way as a T1 would. He's basically cream-crackered his metabolism through all the training.

His wife is/was the team physio or doctor or something so he was in safe hands.

Rob

He's not the kind of person you imagine suffering from visceral fat, so it does rather scotch the obesity=Type2 exclusivity, even for those who appear healthy but may have fatty liver/pancreas. I imagine that he had a pretty high BMI when in full training, given his muscle bulk.

I imagine that, in some cases Type2s may need much more insulin than the average Type1 and would be draining a reservoir twice a day and perhaps burning out the motors? Just a thought!

He's not the kind of person you imagine suffering from visceral fat, so it does rather scotch the obesity=Type2 exclusivity, even for those who appear healthy but may have fatty liver/pancreas. I imagine that he had a pretty high BMI when in full training, given his muscle bulk.

I imagine that, in some cases Type2s may need much more insulin than the average Type1 and would be draining a reservoir twice a day and perhaps burning out the motors? Just a thought!

Sounds feasible. Would be nice to read some research about him but there's precious little even about his diabetes.

Rob

I read an article where he was saying that traditionally (like marathon running) you carb-load beforehand so it would be utterly impossible without insulin and there was a lot of intensive testing, done at/with the help of Loughborough I believe, training with a CGM etc .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back