Man becomes first person with diabetes to backcountry snowboard on all 7 continents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sean Busby was on his way to becoming an Olympic snowboarder when he fell ill.

He eventually was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, which didn't stop him from snowboarding, but did lead him to backcountry snowboarding.

Since his diagnosis 10 years ago, Busby, who now lives in Whitefish, has become the first person with type 1 diabetes to backcountry snowboard on all seven continents.

"This has been something I have been working toward for years, to prove to myself and the world that type 1 diabetes can't hold anyone back from accomplishing their goals," Busby said.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cle_0bb09dd8-ccbc-11e3-a98d-001a4bcf887a.html

Very worrying to hear about a wrong diagnosis and delay in starting insulin in a young man in USA.

Great achievement by Sean Busby.

Although I still can't see the appeal of snowboarding over nordic skiing. Shame we didn't take skis on expedition to South Georgia, to add to my nordic skiing in Greenland, Svalbard, Norway, Nova Scotia, Snowy Mountains in Australia, South Island of New Zealand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back