Maltodextrin - been avoiding it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meggsy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've just started the NHS path to remmission. Done 3 weeks and 1 day so far with high hopes even though I have been feeling quite awful on it - no slips ups. Even more than weight loss I desperately want to be diabetes free so thought it was worth it. Lost some weight in first few days but nothing since, blood sugars all over the place. I looked on the back of the pack of a soup for the first time to see what was in it today... second ingredient listed is Maltodextrin! Looked that up - says avoid if diabetic as it can raise blood sugars, may cause weight gain and destroy gut bacteria and cause disease. Surely this is something we should be avoiding? Why would they give you soups and shakes with it in and so high up the list (so must be a lot of it in these soups and shakes)? Feeling very confused and worried now. I've been avoiding arftificials sugars for some time as they make me feel unwell and spike my blood sugar worse than real sugar and carbs do! I asked before doing this and was told some have some sucralose in (this one has given me the least issues so thought I would be fine with a bit of that for a few months...Seriously wondering if I should continue tbh. Thoughts anyone? I'm just in shock right now...

Unfortunately Maltodextrin has a higher glycemic index (GI) than sugar so yes, it should be avoided. Are these soups ‘official’ food from the soups & shakes diet? If so, that’s really bad. Forgive my ignorance, I know very little about this diet.

That's the reason I only have homemade soups these days, as I know exactly what's gone into them. Fortunately my wife enjoys making soups, then splits them into single or double portions and sticks them in the freezer.

Unfortunately Maltodextrin has a higher glycemic index (GI) than sugar so yes, it should be avoided. Are these soups ‘official’ food from the soups & shakes diet? If so, that’s really bad. Forgive my ignorance, I know very little about this diet.
Yes, via NHS path to remmission - this is why I'm shocked. They got me to place my order, half of the items were out of stock but got porridge and some variety of soups. I've now checked every variety that I have - they are all the same. Maltodextrin is the second item on every single variety... Perhaps this is why my blood sugars are high/all over the place and after first few days of water weight - I've not lost a thing. I'm so dissapointed.

That's the reason I only have homemade soups these days, as I know exactly what's gone into them. Fortunately my wife enjoys making soups, then splits them into single or double portions and sticks them in the freezer.
I quite agree and do normally make my own.

I wonder if this is something which should be investigated independently, maybe by the press. These programs are outsourced to private companies and cost the NHS a lot of money. Who oversees what is in the meal replacements. My concern all along has been that these are Ultra Processed Foods (UPFs) and taking them full time for 12 weeks cannot be good for the gut biome.
Why on earth should a soup have Maltodextrin as the second ingredient anyway! I could perhaps understand if it was something sweet, like a shake or porridge. Out of curiosity, what were the first and third ingredients?

I wonder if this is something which should be investigated independently, maybe by the press. These programs are outsourced to private companies and cost the NHS a lot of money. Who oversees what is in the meal replacements. My concern all along has been that these are Ultra Processed Foods (UPFs) and taking them full time for 12 weeks cannot be good for the gut biome.
Why on earth should a soup have Maltodextrin as the second ingredient anyway! I could perhaps understand if it was something sweet, like a shake or porridge. Out of curiosity, what were the first and third ingredients?
Yes, WebMD (and a few other places) says it destroys your good gut bacteria...

Maltodextrin is an additive used as a preservative, thickener, and bulking agent. It is derived from corn, potato, rice, wheat, or tapioca starches. Although the FDA generally recognizes maltodextrin as safe, it raises blood sugar levels, and some studies link it to intestinal inflammation.

Does maltodextrin cause belly fat?

Carbs, especially in the form of simple sugars, are fattening. Since maltodextrin is made up of simple sugars, and since ingesting it causes blood sugar and insulin levels to rise, it's bound to lead to obesity, insulin resistance, and type-2 diabetes.

Does maltodextrin affect hormones?

The long term effect of constantly eating foods containing maltodextrin is that your body will begin to secrete more and more insulin. The problem with insulin is that it is a growth hormone. This allows tumor cells to grow more rapidly and causes a hormonal imbalance in the sex hormones (estrogen and testosterone).

Side effects may include allergic reactions, weight gain, gas, flatulence, and bloating. Maltodextrin may also cause a rash or skin irritation, asthma, cramping, or difficulty breathing. The primary sources of maltodextrin will be corn, rice, and potato, but manufacturers may sometimes use wheat.

Who should not take maltodextrin?

You should also avoid it if you're predisposed to developing diabetes. Limiting your maltodextrin intake make also help keep your gut bacteria healthy. A 2012 study published in PLoS ONE suggests that maltodextrin can change your gut bacteria composition in a way that makes you more susceptible to disease.

This is what I've found on medical sites with a quick Google...

According to my very short bit of research there are two types of Maltodexrin. Both are obtained by the significant processing of starchy plants. In one the processing is slightly different and is referred to as resistant Maltodextrin and is used in diet products, because it (supposedly) doesn't release it's glucose, but firstly how do you know that the maltodextrin in your product is that resistant kind and secondly, if this is the same processing as applies to cooking, freezing and recooking starches like bread and pasta, it doesn't apply to all people and some people's digestive system can break down part or all of these resistant starches, so why not the resistant maltodextrin. In a similar way that Low GI products don't work for everyone.

The fact that you are seeing a notable rise in BG levels suggests that either this is not "resistant Maltodextrin" or your body is able to break it down and if the Newcastle study was based on similar products then that might explain why it didn't work for everyone, in that some people were getting extra calories and glucose from the Maltodextrin in the soups and shakes.

Looks like a whole lot of chemicals, may have some minerals and vitamins you would not get by making your own. Given it is supposed to be a complete meal replacement it does not sound particularly appetising, no wonder people don't stick to those sort of diets.

Diabtes UK mention Optifast and Counterweight. I've been on their websites and as far as I can see - neither uses Maltodextrin in their products... I feel like I've been set upto fail tbh. So disheartening.

Diabtes UK mention Optifast and Counterweight. I've been on their websites and as far as I can see - neither uses Maltodextrin in their products... I feel like I've been set upto fail tbh. So disheartening.

It is very concerning and something that perhaps Diabetes UK could investigate. I wonder if maltodextrin is being used by the company to improve profits as it is no doubt cheaper. Including more than 16% in each sachet seems scary (the tomato powder is 16.something, so the maltodextrin is more)
@everydayupsanddowns can you enquire about this situation with maltodextrin as it seems like it needs some clarification and reassurance or official guidance, especially as it suggests that it is not suitable for PWD or at risk.

It is very concerning and something that perhaps Diabetes UK could investigate. I wonder if maltodextrin is being used by the company to improve profits as it is no doubt cheaper. Including more than 16% in each sachet seems scary (the tomato powder is 16.something, so the maltodextrin is more)
@everydayupsanddowns can you enquire about this situation with maltodextrin as it seems like it needs some clarification and reassurance or official guidance, especially as it suggests that it is not suitable for PWD or at risk.
Especially since it says the program is an initiative between NHS England and Diabetes UK

Given this is like an 800 calorie diet you won’t be consuming much of it because the whole point is that you’re not consuming much of anything to reduce your body fat. It’s a well researched program for type 2 diabetes and for a limited time period so I wouldn’t be concerned about it

Given this is like an 800 calorie diet you won’t be consuming much of it because the whole point is that you’re not consuming much of anything to reduce your body fat. It’s a well researched program for type 2 diabetes and for a limited time period so I wouldn’t be concerned about it
Except its made my blood sugar go up - which is concerning me.

That is assuming the Maltodextrin used in the product isn't digested by your body. If it is, then you will be consuming a lot more calories than the amount stated. If all the products are about 16% Maltodextrin or more and you have 12 weeks of it, that is a very large amount of Maltodextrin you are going to be consuming and a very significant proportion of your diet. 12 weeks is certainly long enough of a consistent diet of it to alter your gut biome and potentially your brain chemistry, probably not in a good way.

@ColinUK Do you know if the Exante soups and shakes were based upon Maltodextrin.... just thinking you might have a spare packet lying around in the back of a cupboard that you can check. I believe the Newcastle diet was based on Exante shakes..... but may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back