major overcorrection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Another one from me! Sorry, xmas seems to have mucked me about abit!

I just had a level of 16.8, corrected. Half hour later at 20.1 so made the decision to correct again. Levels now dropping like a stone, from 20 to 12 in a matter of 10 minutes. What should I do? I've hadf a biscuit and a few smarties to try and stop them crashing

Have you got some lucozade or something similar? That should bring you back up quickest. Regular testing, I think, but wouldn't eat anything else until you are back in normal range. Hope it doesn't turn nasty - are you still with parents and do they know?

Still with the rentsm 7.3 and still dropping. Had 3 glucotabs

Hey guys. 10.8 this morning and feeling a little fragile. Feel a bit silly for letting it happen to!

Hey guys. 10.8 this morning and feeling a little fragile. Feel a bit silly for letting it happen to!

Good to hear from you - don't worry about feeling silly, we've all done some pretty weird things under the pressure of the moment !

I don't need to come over all "motherly" and say take care of yourself - do I ?

All good wishes

Glad to hear you're OK, if a little on the 'high' side!🙂 I think that the mistake was to check and correct again only half-an hour after the first correction. The first correction would not have reached its peak by a long chalk, so it wouldn't have acted to slow the rise to 20.x. By the time it did start peaking, you had corrected again, so you then had that peaking later and continuing to make you fall. What sort of correction was your second one? Was it just a little extra to cope with extra rise from 16 to 20, or was it to correct you back to 7 from 20? I don't really know much about correcting, except that I'm reluctant to do it and thankfully rarely even have to consider it - I think I have only corrected once or twice in 18 months. It seems to happen a great deal in your adults that your levels swing wildly - I think katie experiences the same, maybe it has a lot to do with the fact that your are still maturing physically until you are about 28?

Hope things are more settled today!🙂

I think that the mistake was to check and correct again only half-an hour after the first correction. The first correction would not have reached its peak by a long chalk, so it wouldn't have acted to slow the rise to 20.x.

i'm guilty of this too, although i've never crashed afterwards - if i don't see my levels dropping about 30 mins after i corrected, i inject more.

i'm guilty of this too, although i've never crashed afterwards - if i don't see my levels dropping about 30 mins after i corrected, i inject more.

Be patient, grasshopper! Give the stuff time to work! Of course, we have to treat hypos the opposite - if we don't see an improvement after 15 minutes we need to act fast!🙂

I think you know where you went wrong, but you are not alone. Hope you ahve a better day today.

http://sixuntilme.blogspot.com/2005/10/rage-bolus-anyone.html

Rage Bolus ? The act of suffering from a high bloodsugar for an extended period of time or for an unknown reason and the retaliatory insulin dose. Oftentimes results in a low bloodsugar.

Good one Nikki/Kerri! I actually can't really imagine what it feels like to go that high. I've not been in double figures for ages now, and feel distinctly under the weather at 8.5...

On the other hand, I don't really notice lows recently until 2.7, but at least I REALLY notice them then!

hiya guys, sorry for lack of replying, I was relying on my blackberry for the past week 🙂 I now have my real laptop back!

Sugars are well...swinging a bit. Christmas has disagreed with me somewhat. But Ive definitely learnt to not rage bolus as kerri puts it 🙂 I'll have to take a proper read of that in a bit!

edit: read it. Sounds very very similar 🙂 rage-bolusing indeed, something i do quite often! And wow, sixuntilme before the professional site! brilliant stuff :D

Last edited:
northe - i am so envious of your lack of double digits!! i seem to be constantly up in the teens at the moment. i do have the odd moment where i have a great results, but that rarely lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back