• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

main meals

dingdong

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
struggling with main meals for tea saw some slimming world ready meals in iceland can you eat them dont fully understand how to work out how much sugar is acceptable in one meal .

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Do you have a test meter so you can check how much a meal increases your blood glucose?
Type 2s have to obtain such things for themselves, but they are very useful when starting out and discovering what you can and can't eat.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
struggling with main meals for tea saw some slimming world ready meals in iceland can you eat them dont fully understand how to work out how much sugar is acceptable in one meal .
You should be thinking more of total carbohydrate NOT just sugar in your meal. The Slimming World meals do vary in the amount of Total carbohydrate so if you look for the lower ones and have some salad or veg with them, you may find you are OK with them but having a monitor to test would reassure you that you are making a good choice.

dingdong

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Do you have a test meter so you can check how much a meal increases your blood glucose?
Type 2s have to obtain such things for themselves, but they are very useful when starting out and discovering what you can and can't eat.
yes i have a test meter it arrived today so if i understand right should i test my bg before i try one & then again after or not .what would be an acceptable carbohydrate total . my head is spinning with it all

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Why are you looking at ready meals? The sort of thing you mentioned in the other thread (steak , lamb, fish etc but without the potatoes are all great things to eat.
Don't worry about the fat on meat or in fish like salmon, herring etc. because those won't make you fat the way that mashed potato or pastry will.

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
yes i have a test meter it arrived today so if i understand right should i test my bg before i try one & then again after or not .what would be an acceptable carbohydrate total . my head is spinning with it all
Test just before a meal and the 2hrs after the first bite. Aim for a rise in Blood Glucose of 2.0 mmol or less. If it's higher then you ate more carbohydrate than your body can handle well.
There is no universal amount of carbs that is good or bad because all our bodies are slightly different. Some can eat legumes like peas, beans, lentils and some get too big a BG rise from them. Some can eat apples while others have to stick with berries (black, rasp, straw or blue). Your meter is your friend who will tell you which foods are OK for you and which to avoid.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It is really simple, once you get into it.
when your meal is ready, check your blood glucose level, eat, and two hours after the first test, do another one.
When first starting out a rise of three whole numbers is not bad.
Once you have done a couple of meals, assess the carbs and look at the numbers increased - you might want to use a notebook - or something more modern - to record what you ate.
Work with that information to see if you are coping well, or not, and consider - possibly - having the same basic meal again, but reducing the amount of carbohydrate to see if that makes a difference in the increase.
When you can actually see that you are able to control your blood glucose levels it can be quite a relief.
Meat, fish and seafood, eggs and cheese are the basis of my meals (not all at once) and I have a list of low carb things to use to substitute for the high carb ones.
I use swede rather than potato, at the moment, but celeriac, cauliflower, aubergine courgette have all featured at different times.

travellor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ignore the nonsense.
You have a meter you said.
Test before you eat a meal.
Wait two hours, test after.
If you are within acceptable numbers, it's all good.
If not, try a different meal.
Easy as that.