Magnesium and insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Magnesium plays an important role in helping your body convert glucose from your food into fuel. If you don’t have enough magnesium in your body, your cells can become less effective at using insulin.

In fact, a 2003 study of 219 women published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that those with higher magnesium intakes had lower fasting insulin levels.1 This means that they were more sensitive to the insulin in their bodies, so their blood sugar levels were more stable. A later study of 234 people by the Medical School of Yangzhou University, China, in 2013 concluded that ‘increasing dietary magnesium to meet the RDA has a protective effect on insulin resistance’.2 So how much magnesium do we need? The recommended daily amount (RDA) is 270mg for women and 300mg for men3 but studies show we’re not eating enough magnesium to benefit from its effects.4

Has anybody else on this forum been aware of this?

"magnesium deficiency is often seen in people with diabetes."

I use a magnesium gel that I rub on my legs at night. It’s made a big difference to the leg cramps I used to get. The magnesium tablets are large and can upset your stomach but the gel is fab.

I use a magnesium gel that I rub on my legs at night. It’s made a big difference to the leg cramps I used to get. The magnesium tablets are large and can upset your stomach but the gel is fab.
I bought some of the gel and it does seem effective, a bit sticky though.

I bought some of the gel and it does seem effective, a bit sticky though.

It is sticky but I think that’s because it has magnesium oil in it. I put it on then wash my hands before moving the tube because I found I was getting the outside of it all sticky trying to sort it immediately after putting the gel on.

I don’t know if it’s had any effect on my blood sugars but as well as curing the cramp, I think I feel better in myself in general.

Sorry to be a bit pedantic but there is no such thing as magnesium oil. What they seem to be is something like magnesium chloride suspended in an oily gel and it will be the formulation of the gel which will control the "stickiness".

I use this , it’s not sticky but can sting a little. Apparently if it stings your deficient. Dunno if that’s true or not

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 5
That’s the brand I use @EmmaL76 but mine’s the gel and I find the gel doesnt sting. It’s in a big tube like a face wash. I chose it partly for the non-sting reason after reading that on another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back