Made a huge mistake, what an idiot and what do I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was just updating some details on mysugr app and realised that at lunchtime 13:45pm I injected for 82g of carbs but forgot to eat 26g of them which was 2x kit kats.
I've just done a test at 18:31pm and my bgl is 3.4 (don't feel hypo because of loss of hypo awareness) so I've had 4x dextrose tablets and now have to wait 15 minutes then check again.
Hubby has just gone off to Tesco for something for tea which can be put in the microwave - he shouldn't be too long now.
What I was thinking of doing is when he gets back home as long as my bgl is back in range is like I did last time I was hypo before tea and do the dafne rules and carry on as normal which is to inject for full amount of tea and eat.
Any advice will be welcome.

Edit - hubby is back home.

I was just updating some details on mysugr app and realised that at lunchtime 13:45pm I injected for 82g of carbs but forgot to eat 26g of them which was 2x kit kats.
I've just done a test at 18:31pm and my bgl is 3.4 (don't feel hypo because of loss of hypo awareness) so I've had 4x dextrose tablets and now have to wait 15 minutes then check again.
Hubby has just gone off to Tesco for something for tea which can be put in the microwave - he shouldn't be too long now.
What I was thinking of doing is when he gets back home as long as my bgl is back in range is like I did last time I was hypo before tea and do the dafne rules and carry on as normal which is to inject for full amount of tea and eat.
Any advice will be welcome.

Edit - hubby is back home.
If it’s back in range, then inject and eat as normal, is what I'd do. It’s long enough since lunch that you won’t have any of the earlier bolus still active in the system, so you shouldn’t drop any further from that.
Edit. If it’s still low, I’d eat some more glucose tabs, but then being me, I wouldn’t wait the 15 minutes, I’d just carry straight on and bolus and eat my tea as normal.

If it’s back in range, then inject and eat as normal, is what I'd do. It’s long enough since lunch that you won’t have any of the earlier bolus still active in the system, so you shouldn’t drop any further from that.
Edit. If it’s still low, I’d eat some more glucose tabs, but then being me, I wouldn’t wait the 15 minutes, I’d just carry straight on and bolus and eat my tea as normal.
Thanks @Robin and I'm back within range at 6.9

Easily done Gill. Don’t be too hard on yourself 🙂

Sounds like you reacted speedily once you realised, to treat the hypo. Then yes, I would dose as normal before tea and just crack on once up above 4.

Would it help to inject for the kitkats separately just before you have them? That way if you don’t have them you won’t go low, and you can have them a bit later if that suits your afternoon better?

Easily done Gill. Don’t be too hard on yourself 🙂

Sounds like you reacted speedily once you realised, to treat the hypo. Then yes, I would dose as normal before tea and just crack on once up above 4.
Thanks I'll try not to be too hard on myself - mistakes happen and when I realised I was able to correct it. As you know whenever I have highs or lows my reasons are 9/10 times reason unknown but at least I know the reason for this one 🙂

Would it help to inject for the kitkats separately just before you have them? That way if you don’t have them you won’t go low, and you can have them a bit later if that suits your afternoon better?
If I had them a bit later like in between lunch and tea would you just inject or test and inject?

If I had them a bit later like in between lunch and tea would you just inject or test and inject?

Would depend on the day I think - i might do either!

If i did check my BG, i would bear in mind that my previous dose was still active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back