lumpy bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
urgh looks like evil doctor was right. Doing my injection just now i noticed on my tummy on both sides a sort of hard lumpy area obviously from years of injecting in the same place. Now I'm trying to find other places to do the jabs but its kinda difficult when i can't do it in my arms.Lantus has started going in the bum due to lumps on my legs.

But here's the thing...

Will these lumps go away???

I'm a bit upset by them :(

They will go away - but you have to rotate - keep away from the lumps. Try injecting in your thighs for a while - but keep rotating each thigh. This could be the reason you have been having random high's of late?🙂Bev

They will go away - but you have to rotate - keep away from the lumps. Try injecting in your thighs for a while - but keep rotating each thigh. This could be the reason you have been having random high's of late?🙂Bev

hey bev

see i was thinking that, but theyve only really started happening sincei moved away from the lumpy bits. I've always injected into the sides of my thighs, can it be done around the front? There are lumps on the sides which seem to have made my legs go a funny shape :confused:

Alex used to inject from 3 inches above his knee right up to his groin area - so this gave him lots of room to rotate. Also used his tummy too. I also used to give his levemir in his bottom - so this gave even more areas. He NEVER had one lump while injecting.🙂Bev

p.s. yes round the front too.

fantastic stuff :D thanks for that bev! I'll try doing the novorapid in my frontal thigh area (ha, that sounds funny!) while these nasty lumpy bits go away. I can't believe I never noticed them before.

I'm probably going to sound silly, but is it a common thing in diabetics? I was probably told but never paid any attention. Maybe this is gunna be the last part of the rebellion to go.

How long dyu think they'll take to go?

but hang on, won't it hurt a bit more round the front? Can you do it round the back? But that would be a bit difficult to get to....

The lumps will go - but could take a couple of months to settle down.

It is very common to get lumps if you dont rotate - i think its because the flesh underneath starts to absorb the insulin quicker and makes it less absorbant - hence the high's.

Sometimes A would get a little bleed - this is because he had his muscles tensed when injecting and sometimes went into a muscle. As long as you dont tense and inject slowly - you shouldnt have any troubles with this. I have also heard of someone injecting into their calves at the back - but we never tried this.🙂Bev

More ammunition for getting a pump Sam!🙂

too bloody right :D

Bev said:
The lumps will go - but could take a couple of months to settle down.

It is very common to get lumps if you dont rotate - i think its because the flesh underneath starts to absorb the insulin quicker and makes it less absorbant - hence the high's.

Sometimes A would get a little bleed - this is because he had his muscles tensed when injecting and sometimes went into a muscle. As long as you dont tense and inject slowly - you shouldnt have any troubles with this. I have also heard of someone injecting into their calves at the back - but we never tried this.Bev

Cheers for that Bev, I'll definitely give it a go later on and see what happens :D Knowing me, I'll probably end up a blithering mess on the floor 😱

I inject my lantus into the front and outside of my thighs, and it's never been a problem, so I'm sure you'll be fine! 🙂

However, I just thought I should say that on my DAFNE course we were told never to inject into the calves - mainly because it hurts! I think the same is true for the back of the thighs - I think there's too much muscle and not enough fat in those areas, so you end up hitting muscle. 🙂

I do left buttock first thing, then left side naval lunch, right side of naval dinner, then right buttock last thing. Always try and remember where you last injected and try to move a few inches on the next rotation.
This means I can inject in the office without dropping my trousers - no a bonnie sight!!

I do my buttocks or thighs for lantus, and stomach or arms for the novorpiad. Do you not like using your arms? I fidn them the most comfortable place, even though I do like doing it round the front of the arm rather than the back, I'm trying not to do it so much.

I was told and found the tops of thighs often more painful than any area as there's a nerve I'm told that runs down there, so I find on the outside of thigh below hip easier, but I think I'm gonna champion the arms for 2010! Agree with RWJ rotate properly 4 times a day 4 areas then good chance of sites recovering, although I haven't kept to that myself, will try and do so from now.

yeah. i think rotating sites should be a good resolution. I change each side for lantus every evening.

Injected round the front of my legs today. Much less painful :D And levels have been much better :D

Do you use your sides/back area? also higher up in you stomach?

I do my buttocks or thighs for lantus, and stomach or arms for the novorpiad. Do you not like using your arms? I fidn them the most comfortable place, even though I do like doing it round the front of the arm rather than the back, I'm trying not to do it so much.

Is it supposed to be the backs of the arms then??

And how high up on the tummy can it be?

I really need to start a rotation system - and good idea for making the tummy one at lunchtime/when you know you'll be in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back