Lumps in stomach from insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura0194

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Hello I’m on quite a lot of insulin because I’m insulin resistant and I’ve got a lot of lumps in my stomach both sides of my stomach I’ve rotated my injection sites but I know the insulin isn’t going in properly due to the lumps of fatty tissue, is there anything I can do to help with the lumps of fatty tissue is there a way to get rid of them

Hi @Laura0194 - I’m sure others will be able to give better advice.

I would change your injection site immediately if you haven’t already -ie don’t use your stomach any more - to make sure you insulin starts being absorbed properly.

It might be worth speaking to your diabetes team/GP about the lumps to check if they really are from insulin use and can’t be ruled out as anything else. If they are lipohypertrophy then I do believe if it’s not too severe they may disappear on their own if not used for a long period of time; but I wouldn’t like to say for sure.

Are you only injecting in your stomach @Laura0194 ? If so, that could be the problem, especially if you’re taking lots of insulin. The lumps can resolve but that site needs a ‘rest’ and not to be used for a period of some months. If you speak to your DSN, they can check the lumps and advise more.

Use your thighs and bum - but do be cautious as it could be you’ll need less insulin in those areas (due to the absence of lumps and the fact they’re new areas).

What insulins do you take, how much and when? Are you also on Metformin?

I also inject in my legs and bum to the one lump I’ve had for a couple years now, I’m on toujeo morning and night and humalog U100 3 times a day with corrections and I’m on Pioglitazone to of a morning which is a tablet I’ve told my diabetes team at the hospital but they won’t do anything about it

Hi @Laura0194 - I’m sure others will be able to give better advice.

I would change your injection site immediately if you haven’t already -ie don’t use your stomach any more - to make sure you insulin starts being absorbed properly.

It might be worth speaking to your diabetes team/GP about the lumps to check if they really are from insulin use and can’t be ruled out as anything else. If they are lipohypertrophy then I do believe if it’s not too severe they may disappear on their own if not used for a long period of time; but I wouldn’t like to say for sure.
I also inject in my legs and bum to but I’m on 2 lots of insulin so I try rotate my injection sites as much as I can but it’s hard when I’m left with bruises and lumps on my stomach

Really sorry to hear you have such nasty lumps and unfortunately I have no experience of them to answer your question.

Have you ever tried to do anything about your insulin resistance and perhaps working towards reducing your insulin doses by adjusting your diet, since I think it is likely that the large doses will be responsible for these lumps.

Hi @Laura0194

I’m sorry you’re developing lumps that are causing absorbency issues & pain. Could you try a different needle type/length if you’re getting bruising & discuss U200 insulin if you are injecting large numbers of units? U200 is higher strength insulin so the volume you need to inject is less, this may not be appropriate for your situation but worth an ask.

I’d discuss your situation with a DSN to hopefully find a more comfortable way to manage your injections and prevent lumps from developing.

Really sorry to hear you have such nasty lumps and unfortunately I have no experience of them to answer your question.

Have you ever tried to do anything about your insulin resistance and perhaps working towards reducing your insulin doses by adjusting your diet, since I think it is likely that the large doses will be responsible for these lumps.
They tried me in different insulins I’ve been on like 4 different ones and I’m on tablets to I’ve tried about 5 different tablets aswell nothing seems to be working

Hi @Laura0194

I’m sorry you’re developing lumps that are causing absorbency issues & pain. Could you try a different needle type/length if you’re getting bruising & discuss U200 insulin if you are injecting large numbers of units? U200 is higher strength insulin so the volume you need to inject is less, this may not be appropriate for your situation but worth an ask.

I’d discuss your situation with a DSN to hopefully find a more comfortable way to manage your injections and prevent lumps from developing.
I’ve changed my needles there actually better for me and they were suppose to put me in the U200 but then they changed it to the U100 but it’s not making a difference

They tried me in different insulins I’ve been on like 4 different ones and I’m on tablets to I’ve tried about 5 different tablets aswell nothing seems to be working
I was meaning dietary changes to help reduce the amount of insulin you need and also increasing exercise to help improve insulin sensitivity. Most of us have the ability to do something about our insulin resistance ourselves. It takes a bit of effort but it is well worth it, especially if you are now having problems as a result of injecting large doses.
I also split my larger doses into two so I am not injecting too much insulin into one site

I was meaning dietary changes to help reduce the amount of insulin you need and also increasing exercise to help improve insulin sensitivity. Most of us have the ability to do something about our insulin resistance ourselves. It takes a bit of effort but it is well worth it, especially if you are now having problems as a result of injecting large doses.
I also split my larger doses into two so I am not injecting too much insulin into one site
My diet is quite good to be honest I eat plenty of green vegetables I eat a lot or salad and fruits I don’t have to much rice or pasta, and I have problems with my feet and my legs so I try getting out when I can I’m just in a lot of pain with them at the moment

I also inject in my legs and bum to the one lump I’ve had for a couple years now, I’m on toujeo morning and night and humalog U100 3 times a day with corrections and I’m on Pioglitazone to of a morning which is a tablet I’ve told my diabetes team at the hospital but they won’t do anything about it

I see from your previous posts that you really are on big doses of insulin:

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/sugar-levels-are-always-high.104228/#post-1230011

That must make things so hard for you :( I would think concentrated insulin would be the way to go. Could you chase up what happened to the U200 insulin? Sometimes you really need to push a bit to get the treatment you need. I know it’s hard to push, but if you’re polite but firm, I’d hope you’d get some results. Could your GP write supporting a change to U200 and explaining your problems?

It is always possible to do seated exercises or swimming can be very gentle on the joints, so it is always worth looking at ways that you can increase your activity levels to improve insulin sensitivity.

You mention eating plenty of fruit but fruit can be quite high in carbs, so whilst traditionally considered "healthy" it is not necessarily ideal for Type 2 management. Many swap riced cauliflower for normal rice, and mashed cauli or swede or celeriac for potato. Most of thr time I don't bother with rice or pasta at all and just have curry or chilli on a bed of shredded microwaved cabbage or broccoli or courgette or occasionally I have some Konjac noodles or rice which is pretty well carb free. Others here use Edamame pasta which is lower carb.

I know your situation will not change overnight and the double strength insulin makes sense so do push for that but for the longer term, doing whatever you can to reduce the insulin resistance and thereby your insulin doses would be worth the extra effort n my opinion, especially as you are already getting problems with your sites and you are just a young woman.

I know a bit of exercise and particularly regular exercise makes a notable difference to my basal needs and I love it when I can reduce my doses.

I see from your previous posts that you really are on big doses of insulin:

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/sugar-levels-are-always-high.104228/#post-1230011

That must make things so hard for you :( I would think concentrated insulin would be the way to go. Could you chase up what happened to the U200 insulin? Sometimes you really need to push a bit to get the treatment you need. I know it’s hard to push, but if you’re polite but firm, I’d hope you’d get some results. Could your GP write supporting a change to U200 and explaining your problems?
I’ve been on the humalog U200 for couple weeks because my GP didn’t put my prescription through so I had to stay in that one for a while and was using the same doses which are higher now because they changed them and it still didn’t make a difference, I’m constantly ringing the diabetes team at QE hospital but there not doing anything else about it really stressing me out to be honest and my GP has also emailed them there just not doing anything

It is always possible to do seated exercises or swimming can be very gentle on the joints, so it is always worth looking at ways that you can increase your activity levels to improve insulin sensitivity.

You mention eating plenty of fruit but fruit can be quite high in carbs, so whilst traditionally considered "healthy" it is not necessarily ideal for Type 2 management. Many swap riced cauliflower for normal rice, and mashed cauli or swede or celeriac for potato. Most of thr time I don't bother with rice or pasta at all and just have curry or chilli on a bed of shredded microwaved cabbage or broccoli or courgette or occasionally I have some Konjac noodles or rice which is pretty well carb free. Others here use Edamame pasta which is lower carb.

I know your situation will not change overnight and the double strength insulin makes sense so do push for that but for the longer term, doing whatever you can to reduce the insulin resistance and thereby your insulin doses would be worth the extra effort n my opinion, especially as you are already getting problems with your sites and you are just a young woman.

I know a bit of exercise and particularly regular exercise makes a notable difference to my basal needs and I love it when I can reduce my doses.
Thank you for the advice about the pasta I’ll have a look for it and I was taking the U200 humalog for couple weeks big doses aswell but didn’t seem to make a difference I just don’t know what else to do I keep ring them but I get know where with them

I’ve been on the humalog U200 for couple weeks because my GP didn’t put my prescription through so I had to stay in that one for a while and was using the same doses which are higher now because they changed them and it still didn’t make a difference, I’m constantly ringing the diabetes team at QE hospital but there not doing anything else about it really stressing me out to be honest and my GP has also emailed them there just not doing anything

I’d go back to basics @Laura0194 It’s great you’ve got the U200 Humalog as at least that will mean you’re not injecting such large amounts, but I think you need to go right back to the foundations of control. The first thing to do is to see if your basal insulin is holding you steady in the absence of food (because that’s what it’s supposed to do). If your basal dose is wrong, then it’s very difficult to get control of your blood sugar. It’s like building a house - you need a strong foundation (basal insulin) before you do the brickwork (bolus/meal insulin).

A couple of things - do they know why you’re resistant to insulin? Eg are you overweight and/or carrying weight around your middle? Do you have an additional hormone problem, eg PCOS or thyroid issues? Etc, etc.

And secondly, are you confident in adjusting your own insulin doses? Most people on insulin here adjust their own doses. That usually gives better control, but it also makes you feel better psychologically as you’re in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back