Lucozade

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAREN1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi it may seem a silly question but i have been told that to treat a hypo 100mls lucozade can be taken (ORIGINAL) what is the difference between using original and flavoured lucozade? sorry to sound a bit scatty. thanks

So long as the carb content is similar between then there won't really be a difference when it cones to treating a hypo, compare the labels to see...?

hi it may seem a silly question but i have been told that to treat a hypo 100mls lucozade can be taken (ORIGINAL) what is the difference between using original and flavoured lucozade? sorry to sound a bit scatty. thanks

I've only tried the original and it was HORRIBLE but if the carbs in both are the same then there should be no real difference.

I just happen to have a bottle of lucozade on the table next to me! It's original, and has 17.2g carbs per 100ml. Someone once mentioned here that they use lemon lucozade, so I imagine it's the same or similar.

Hi

Carbs are the same. You can use any of the flavours, 100 mls is 17 cho. Beware though as the different types are different carbs ie lucozade sport I believe is not as much as the normal stuff (original flavour or otherwise). You could also use the party sized cans of coke (we are also trying Sprite at the moment), the party cans are 15 cho. You will find them with the mixers in the drinks aisles.

Hi

Carbs are the same. You can use any of the flavours, 100 mls is 17 cho. Beware though as the different types are different carbs ie lucozade sport I believe is not as much as the normal stuff (original flavour or otherwise). You could also use the party sized cans of coke (we are also trying Sprite at the moment), the party cans are 15 cho. You will find them with the mixers in the drinks aisles.

The bottle I have is Lucozade Energy, not sure how it is different to ordinary - must have caffiene or something in it!

Carbonated Water

Glucose Fructose Syrup (24%)

Orange juice from Concentrate (5%)

Citric Acid

Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bisulphite)

Stabilisar (Acacia Gum)

Caffeine (0.012%)

Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)

Flavourings

Colour (Beta-Carotene)

A 12.85 ounce bottle of Lucozade contains 46 milligrams of caffeine.

^^ INGREDIENTS IN LUCOZADE ENERGY

Last edited:
Thanks steff!🙂 Saved me having to get the magnifying glass out to read the label!

I just happen to have a bottle of lucozade on the table next to me! It's original, and has 17.2g carbs per 100ml. Someone once mentioned here that they use lemon lucozade, so I imagine it's the same or similar.

That was meeee , i only like the lemon lucozade as it doesnt taste sweet :D

its still the same for carb value though. :confused:

As long as the carbs are the same, and you are getting something to help the hypo, have whichever one you like best. I was told I could use coke, Dr.Pepper or lemonade if I prefered them. When I am at work, coke is the easiest to get as most people seem to prefer it.

Yep, I agree, I hate the original and vary between apple, lemon, orange, tropical and berry flavours... A bit of variety makes life (and hypoes!) a lot more interesting 🙂 I have worked out, that for me, about 6 mouthfuls of any flavour is the perfect amount to treat a hypo (I can't work in mls when I'm on the go...)

Oh, and those mini cans of coke you can get as mixers for drinks, those are also the perfect amount for ease's sake! Again, anything, as long as it's not diet, works in the same way.

I go against the consensus I'm afraid, original for me all the time! I find it quite comforting, it reminds me of being looked after when I was ill as a child, lucozade seemed to be the cure for all in our house!

I go against the consensus I'm afraid, original for me all the time! I find it quite comforting, it reminds me of being looked after when I was ill as a child, lucozade seemed to be the cure for all in our house!

Yes, we actually thought it was 'medicine' when me and my sister were little, because we only got it if poorly! I suspect there were a lot more medical claims for it back then (I think I'm twice your age aymes, so we're talking early '60s). Also, it was more expensive in comparison to ordinary 'pop', so parents probably could only afford it when they thought it might help us feel better.

Savlon was the other 'cure-all' (we didn't eat it, though!)

LOL - it was the same in our house :D Although, I don't like lucozade for that reason - it makes me think of being ill!

LOL - it was the same in our house :D Although, I don't like lucozade for that reason - it makes me think of being ill!

Although it reminds me of being ill, it also reminds me of being pampered by my mum and read stories by my sister!🙂

Germolene in our house and my mum's and my aunt's and my sister's and my dad's and my brother's and my cousins' (all of them)..........

However it doesn't sort out hypos yet, wonder if they'll bring out a sugared germolene then I will be on planet Germolene and its pink - what more could a girl ask for !!🙂

I can't stand the original but quite like orange lucozade energy. I like lucozade sport (has less carbs) for exercise.

many thanks for all your replies on the lucozade subject thought it was only original you could have but i much prefer the orange one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back