Lowest blood sugar level before going to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Just about to go to bed and my reading is 8.9, generally it's higher before I go to sleep. I am just a bit concerned it may drop too low. What do you reckons guys?. I am type 1, thanks

Just about to go to bed and my reading is 8.9, generally it's higher before I go to sleep. I am just a bit concerned it may drop too low. What do you reckons guys?. I am type 1, thanks
Why do you think you might go too low? I'd be fine going to sleep at 8.9, but then I've got graphs (from Libre) showing that my night time basal is about right (so I'm as likely to rise slightly as fall, but likely not by much).

Do you have hypo unawareness? (That's less relevant for overnight since I think there are special factors making it more likely any of us will sleep through a hypo, but even so...)

I'm with Bruce, 8.9 seems a good number to go to bed on. Do you use freestyle libre or similar sensor that can monitor and sound a an alarm for you if you drop?
What is the difference usually for your before bed BG to your morning BG? This should give you some indication of how your basal is working andthat your at less risk of overnight hypo

I don't use either of those but will be looking to. Normally it's ten or slightly above before bed and six to seven in the morning. Thanks

Are you on 2 basal injections or just one? Your looking at an ideal difference of 1 - 1.5mmol difference between your bedtime reading to morning reading so your basal might need reducing.

I am still on one injection a day. Will probably be changing soon.

I find it difficult to advise what the best number to go to bed on is as we are all different.
In an ideal world, our basal should keep out levels stable. If that was the case, 8.9 is higher than I would like to maintain. Plus, my body struggles to sleep when my levels are higher than 8.
If your levels are falling more than 5mmol/l per night, that suggests to me that your basal dose is too high.
On the other hand, if you are newly diagnosed and your levels are unpredictable (thanks, dying pancreas), then you may want to be more cautious.

Being on an insulin pump which is able to match my basal needs closer than MDI, I aim to go to bed at about 6 mmol/l which is my target level at all times.

I would only really worry if i were below 5 (though I do have the benefit of basal suspend if my levels dip.

If running without sensors, I think 6-7 is about my sweet spot. I agree with @Mumof1 though, if my BG moves by more than 1.8mmol/L up or down overnight, I would be thinking about adjusting my basal.

Hi guys. Just about to go to bed and my reading is 8.9, generally it's higher before I go to sleep. I am just a bit concerned it may drop too low. What do you reckons guys?. I am type 1, thanks
Hi Spence,

The answer completely depends on how long it has been since you last ate (and bolused). If it has been over 6 hrs (length of action for many short acting insulins), then it would be safe to say that at 8.9 it is likely to remain around that level during the rest of the night, provided basal is steady. It's for this reason it's far better to try and avoid eating late in the evening, if you are planning to go to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back