Lowered blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

aw2110

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone help me? For the last 2 weeks my blood sugar levels have been really good - waking at about 5 or 6, and staying within range most of the day, not going above 12 or so This has meant that I have been taking only maybe 1-3 units of Novorapid a day. I take 14 units of Lantus a day which I have increased gradually myself ( over the last 2 years or so) following guide lines from the BDEC programme. Today though my blood sugars have been at 4.5 or so and even taking no Novorapid before my evening meal (pasta and quorn bolognese if you're interested), it went up to 12 now its back to 6ish. The only real differences I can think of are my dose of Thyroxine was reduced by 25mcg to 100 2 weeks ago, its colder, and I have been following the Weight Watchers points programme (lost 2lbs already). I am pleased if not a little perplexed that I could be doing something right for a change but I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 9 years ago and Type 1 Diabetes in 2007

It is good the levels are in the right area, and well done for the weight loss.

The levels could be due to the cold weather and the reduction of one of your meds. Many people have said their levels are lower when it is very cold.

Hi, I've heard quite a few stories here of people who have had to reduce their insulin considerably, so you're certainly not alone in this. As long as your levels are good, which they are (very!), then I would just carry on doing what you are doing 🙂 Are you getting many hypos? Have you discussed this with your DSN? I'm the same, but different, in that I have had to reduce my lantus over the past couple of years. I'm currently on 7 units, down from 20, and at one point I was on 3 units. My novorapid doses have also decreased considerably. I discussed this with my consultant and he thinks I'm still producing some insulin as only 10-15% of my total daily dose is basal insulin.

It may be that the combination of the cold weather and the lowering of your thyroid medication has contributed to this drop in insulin requirements as both may have made you more sensitive to any insulin you are producing. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back