Lower Carb Diet - Constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne888

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been cutting down on carbs for around 2 weeks. I haven’t cut very low, been having around 100g, sometimes a bit lower. I’ve had problems going to the loo for a few days and I’ve got IBS tonight I’ve checked my fibre intake and it’s as low as 5 most days. I need to up the fibre without increasing carbs or calories. Any ideas? Do I need to take a supplement? The foods recommended tend to be high in carbs so I don’t want to go down that route

I use a mixture of psyllium husk and chia seeds. I have a little 10ml scoop and I have a scoop of each in a glass of flavoured water. give it a stir, leave it a few mins to absorb the water, give it another stir and drink it down and then wash the glass out with another half glass of water to rinse out the bits stuck to the sides. Chia seeds are a bit of a super food as they are high in omega 3 fatty acids as well as both those and psyllium being low carb and very high in soluble fibre. I do this every morning and it works a treat for me. Psyllium husk is the key ingredient of Fibogel, which is the supplement often prescribed to people with bowel problems, but I think that has sugar added to make it more palatable, whereas the plain psyllium and chia do not. I flavour my water with a very odd mixture of a splash each of Apple Cider Vinegar, Balsamic Acid (because I love the stuff) and believe it or not an inch or two of diet cola, topped up with water. If you think that is weird, another member has their chia seeds in their morning coffee which makes it become a sort of runny porridge consistency. Personally I am happy to stick with my vinegar and coke concoction and have my coffee with cream afterwards.

I use a mixture of psyllium husk and chia seeds. I have a little 10ml scoop and I have a scoop of each in a glass of flavoured water. give it a stir, leave it a few mins to absorb the water, give it another stir and drink it down and then wash the glass out with another half glass of water to rinse out the bits stuck to the sides. Chia seeds are a bit of a super food as they are high in omega 3 fatty acids as well as both those and psyllium being low carb and very high in soluble fibre. I do this every morning and it works a treat for me. Psyllium husk is the key ingredient of Fibogel, which is the supplement often prescribed to people with bowel problems, but I think that has sugar added to make it more palatable, whereas the plain psyllium and chia do not. I flavour my water with a very odd mixture of a splash each of Apple Cider Vinegar, Balsamic Acid (because I love the stuff) and believe it or not an inch or two of diet cola, topped up with water. If you think that is weird, another member has their chia seeds in their morning coffee which makes it become a sort of runny porridge consistency. Personally I am happy to stick with my vinegar and coke concoction and have my coffee with cream afterwards.
I bought some chia seeds on Friday as my daughter said the same as you about super good but I’d no idea how to use it. I was going to sprinkle it on salad. A tsp only has 1g of fibre though. I’ve just ordered some psyllium. I would probably use Diet Coke.. I’ve cut back on it the past 12 months as I was having 6 cans a day (I don’t drink hot drinks). I allow myself one a day now most days. Thanks for this.

I've been taking Fybogel orange flavour for over 20 years for my diverticular disease. One sachet has 5 cals, 2.5gm fibre and 1gm carb. In contrast to above, I mix and chug down immediately before it thickens, so it can thicken in my tummy, something my nurse told me to do. Whatever suits you best.

I think what I thought was IBS went on to be diverticulitis related. I do suffer with it. Had a vile night and the constipation soon went the other way!! Still not feeling great. I’ve never been told to use fybogel but I’m definitely going to give that a go. I’ve been popping buscopan all night!

I was originally diagnosed with IBS but a colonoscopy showed Diverticular Disease after a bad bleed. I used to get a lot of pain but started to take Aloe Vera capsules. Maybe it was coincidence, but the pain started to recede after 5 days, and I just get the odd niggle now. My daily routine starts with a glass of Fybogel, followed by my medication, including the Aloe Vera capsule.

I was originally diagnosed with IBS but a colonoscopy showed Diverticular Disease after a bad bleed. I used to get a lot of pain but started to take Aloe Vera capsules. Maybe it was coincidence, but the pain started to recede after 5 days, and I just get the odd niggle now. My daily routine starts with a glass of Fybogel, followed by my medication, including the Aloe Vera capsule.
I only found out about the diverticulitis when I had bowel cancer.. I always assumed I was suffering from IBS before (and so did GP). I'm never sure which is which! I really don't want the lack of carbs causing me to have either!

I am of the opinion (non medical) that it is the excessive carbs in our diet which were likely causing or aggravating the IBS but that the loss of roughage due to removing grains from the diet causes constipation which causes a flare up. Once your digestive tract finds a good balance of alternative fibre and low carb the whole digestive tract becomes happier. I know my lower gut and bowel movements are now the best they have been all my live and I had been having symptoms of IBS for a good number of years but didn't seek medical help.
6 cans of coke a day was a lot. Well done for whittling it down to one. Have you considered watering it down with water, which is what I do. I started with a glass 3/4 full and topped it up with water and gradually cut it down to an inch in the bottom of the glass and the rest water. Having that shot of real sweetness of diet coke every day, doesn't allow your your taste buds to adjust to less sweetness and can encourage the craving for sweet things.

If you go with Fibogel, there is no reason why you can't stir some chia seeds into it as well. Important to drink plenty of fluids, ideally water, when you are constipated and taking a fibre supplement.

Good luck. I hope you can find a good balance for your system that works for you.

I am of the opinion (non medical) that it is the excessive carbs in our diet which were likely causing or aggravating the IBS but that the loss of roughage due to removing grains from the diet causes constipation which causes a flare up. Once your digestive tract finds a good balance of alternative fibre and low carb the whole digestive tract becomes happier. I know my lower gut and bowel movements are now the best they have been all my live and I had been having symptoms of IBS for a good number of years but didn't seek medical help.
6 cans of coke a day was a lot. Well done for whittling it down to one. Have you considered watering it down with water, which is what I do. I started with a glass 3/4 full and topped it up with water and gradually cut it down to an inch in the bottom of the glass and the rest water. Having that shot of real sweetness of diet coke every day, doesn't allow your your taste buds to adjust to less sweetness and can encourage the craving for sweet things.

If you go with Fibogel, there is no reason why you can't stir some chia seeds into it as well. Important to drink plenty of fluids, ideally water, when you are constipated and taking a fibre supplement.

Good luck. I hope you can find a good balance for your system that works for you.
I looked online and it says that cutting carbs reduces fibre and can cause gut problems so I’m sure that’s the problem. My fibre intake is very low. Regarding the Coke (Coke Zero), I should have said it’s the small 150ml cans I have not the large 330 so it’s actually less than half a can and if I’m honest I don’t have it every day but I don’t miss many. I do need to find a way of increasing fibre and stopping ibs/diverticulitis because I’ve had the most miserable night. I don’t feel at all well today. Trying to cut carbs, cut calories and raise fibre is a nightmare right now. I usually just cut calories!

I suspect some people are so used to the bulky high carbs that when they begin to eat things with far less residue, and they just don't need to get rid of it every day, they think there is something wrong and start to add in fibre - sometimes so much that their gut becomes impacted. Taking a powerful laxative can then result in a perforated bowel, so you do need to be careful, particularly in hot weather when it is easy to become dehydrated.

I eat loads of fibre every day because I use it in my keto baking.
This is today's first fibre dose.
I made this cake with oat fibre, coconut flour, egg, psyllium husk and other ingredients and we had it for breakfast!
Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 10.54.49 AM.png

I will be eating konjac pasta or rice at some point today which is mainly fibre and zero carbs. This is a konjac penne pastitsio I made a while ago.
cold slice of home made keto pastitsion.png
I have spag bol, lasagne, mac and cheese and konjac rice in chinese style meals.

I also make gluten free pies and use psyllium husk in the pastry which adds more fibre to the diet.

And erythritol and other zero carb sweeteners can also get things moving nicely if you are a bit bunged up. Just make sure to drink lots of water to keep things happily processing. During hot weather it is easy to forget to keep thoroughly hydrated and low carb keto eating means we need to drink more anyway.

I suspect some people are so used to the bulky high carbs that when they begin to eat things with far less residue, and they just don't need to get rid of it every day, they think there is something wrong and start to add in fibre - sometimes so much that their gut becomes impacted. Taking a powerful laxative can then result in a perforated bowel, so you do need to be careful, particularly in hot weather when it is easy to become dehydrated.
This wasn't just thinking something was wrong. I've been ill all night. I have IBS and diverticulitis and the stomach pains were like childbirth, it was a bad flare and I don't really want it again any time soon! I need to be sure I'm getting enough fibre to make sure everything is working smoothly! If I didn't feel so rough I would't care about the fibre to be honest!

I eat loads of fibre every day because I use it in my keto baking.
This is today's first fibre dose.
I made this cake with oat fibre, coconut flour, egg, psyllium husk and other ingredients and we had it for breakfast!
View attachment 21281

I will be eating konjac pasta or rice at some point today which is mainly fibre and zero carbs. This is a konjac penne pastitsio I made a while ago.
View attachment 21282
I have spag bol, lasagne, mac and cheese and konjac rice in chinese style meals.

I also make gluten free pies and use psyllium husk in the pastry which adds more fibre to the diet.

And erythritol and other zero carb sweeteners can also get things moving nicely if you are a bit bunged up. Just make sure to drink lots of water to keep things happily processing. During hot weather it is easy to forget to keep thoroughly hydrated and low carb keto eating means we need to drink more anyway.
Wow this is truly impressive. Cake looks amazing. I've not experimented much since trying to cut carbs, I really should but I can tell you now, I won't be turning out the quality of food you are!

Wow this is truly impressive. Cake looks amazing. I've not experimented much since trying to cut carbs, I really should but I can tell you now, I won't be turning out the quality of food you are!
It is far easier than you think. That cake took maybe half an hour and most of that was organising six little bowls so I could separate the cake mix to add the different colours. The secret is to microwave stuff and use silicone cookware. Keto baking is a million times easier and faster than traditional baking and the frosting is easier too because it is double cream with powdered erythritol and natural flavour of your choice plus a very tiny amount of citric acid if you want white icing and a sprinkle of 100% cocoa powder if you want chocolate flavour/colour frosting. Those things make the cream 'sieze' which means it stiffens up without you needing to beat it for very long and it stabilises it. I find i don't even need to weigh and measure stuff the way I did when I struggled with wheat flour and sugar. The keto ingredients are very forgiving and usually the only variable is how wet the mix is and the wetter it is the longer you need to microwave it to get the cake to turn from a liquid to a proper cake consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back