Low vitamin D linked to Type 2 diabetes risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers found those with lower vitamin D levels were more likely to be obese and have higher degrees of insulin resistance, when the hormone becomes less effective at lowering blood sugar.
However, the team at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas conceded their study could not determine if low vitamin D levels played an active role in developing the disease at all.
Nonetheless, Dr Micah Olson, lead author of the study, published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, said: "Although our study cannot prove causation, it does suggest that low vitamin D levels may play a role in the development of Type 2 diabetes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...vitamin-D-linked-to-Type-2-diabetes-risk.html

Spending time outdoors has so many benefits - exercise / activity, mood etc, as well as gaining some vitamin D - too good to not do it! With the proviso, don't get sunburned.

In fact, I was even more frustrated than usual by the late running of the diabetes clinic I attended this morning - I'd rushed to get there on time after morning care work, then sat in waiting room for 45 mins with nothing happening, but fortunately had brought my own reading matter. Then in consulting room could see sunshine, and wanted to be out there on my bike, and get the washing on to use our PV electricity and later hang washing on line to dry.

Just reading this and thought it may be of interest.

http://www.healthdirect.co.uk/category/diabetes

Then noticed there was allready a thread lol:D I dont suppose anybody else will get a scoop while alan is around
hehe.gif

You sound like me copod i cant sit still & dont like doing nothing ! Love being outdoors when its a bit warmer. Am busy planning this years bike trip Pamplona,Madrid & Benalmadena. Even with crash helmet on lots of suns rays ! 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back