low sugar readings when I wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUSTFORLIFE

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
im on 12 units of Humalog, before meals, and 22 units of Lantus once a day, (type 2), after a few months of insulin my body seems to have adjusted pretty well ( im off most of the tablets), ive started waking up with blood readings of between 4 and 5, im chuffed, I was 25+ for the last 12 months, my question is, should I inject Humalog before breakfast, or are the readings ok to leave it, it scares me a bit that I could get to low? im obviously going to discuss it with my diabetic nurse, but value the forums input, with thanks.

Humalog needs to be injected 15-30 mins before you eat so it has time to start working before the food you are about to eat hits your blood sugars.
Well done on your normal waking blood sugars 🙂

If your waking numbers continue to drop then you should discuss a reduction in Lantus with your nurse but you will still need your meal time insulin (Humalog) before your meals including breakfast. Even if my levels are below 4 when I wake up, I would eat a jelly baby or 2 to bring it up but still inject my breakfast insulin because my breakfast needs it. If your levels start to drop too low after your breakfast/before lunch, then you likely need less Humalog for that breakfast, but just stopping 12 units of Humalog and eating your breakfast will likely result in a large spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back