Low sodium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banana

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Husband had his blood tests for up and coming diabetic check but the surgery rang and said his sodium was slightly low and that he needed another test. If that returned as low then the GP would make an appointment to see him.

Has anyone else had this (I looked at his notes from last year and it was 133. Don't know the result of the recent one only that it was low.

What sort of treatment might the GP suggest? Maybe some one can give some advice please.

Husband had his blood tests for up and coming diabetic check but the surgery rang and said his sodium was slightly low and that he needed another test. If that returned as low then the GP would make an appointment to see him.

Has anyone else had this (I looked at his notes from last year and it was 133. Don't know the result of the recent one only that it was low.

What sort of treatment might the GP suggest? Maybe some one can give some advice please.
I think it might depend on the cause as to what treatment might be suggested but it may mean just a bit more salt in his diet, rehydration fluids, drinks with higher sodium but it really will depend on the reason for it. Wait for the result before jumping to any conclusion.

What is his diabetes management like? Just wondering if his BG is high and he is weeing and drinking lots if that could be dropping his sodium levels...

Type II. Management is almost non existent! I'm new to this and wondered if you could let me know what BG is please.

Does your husband take blood pressure medication? Some types can lead to low sodium. (If that is the reason, the meds would just be changed.)

Type II. Management is almost non existent! I'm new to this and wondered if you could let me know what BG is please.
As mentioned above BG is Blood Glucose. High BG levels are caused by our diabetes. Managing diabetes well is about bringing those high levels down through a number of things including dietary changes, exercise, medication and perhaps weight loss.
High BG levels (usually over 10mmols) cause your kidneys to work overtime trying to remove the excess glucose which may make you wee more and be thirsty, but weeing more and drinking more can strip sodium out of your body, which is why I asked about your husbands diabetes. If he is not doing anything to manage his diabetes then it may well be getting worse, so it really is important to get a treatment plan in place and take steps literally ie walking, as well as dietary changes and perhaps medication to bring BG levels down into the normal range.

When was your husband diagnosed with diabetes? Has he been given any medication for it or advice about managing it?

My sodium has been low for years so they took me off Losartan which I took for Blood Pressure, and went on different BP tablets. I still have low sodium ....

I think it might depend on the cause as to what treatment might be suggested but it may mean just a bit more salt in his diet, rehydration fluids, drinks with higher sodium but it really will depend on the reason for it. Wait for the result before jumping to any conclusion.
My Mum had low sodium. One of the approaches to dealing with it is to limit fluid intake not focus on rehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back