Low mid afternoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattiboy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. I have a question that maybe someone can help with?! I have been experiencing what feels like hypo's mid to late afternoon. When I test I'm fine, around the 5 or 6 mark but feel terrible. Certainly wouldn't trust myself driving. What can this be? Is it possibly what I'm eating for lunch? Thanks for any help!

Are you testing by finger-pricking or just scanning a Libre @Mattiboy ? Sometimes a fast drop can feel like a hypo even though you’re not in the hypo range.

Are you testing by finger-pricking or just scanning a Libre @Mattiboy ? Sometimes a fast drop can feel like a hypo even though you’re not in the hypo range.
Hi Inka, I do a combination of both usually just to check and I do drop and rise very quickly. So do you think it could be the drop after my lunch spike that makes me feel this way?
Thanks for your reply.

Hi Inka, I do a combination of both usually just to check and I do drop and rise very quickly. So do you think it could be the drop after my lunch spike that makes me feel this way?
Thanks for your reply.
If you are getting a spike and then a big drop then yes it would make you feel as you describe. Have you looked at the timing of your lunch bolus or considered perhaps adding a bit more protein to your lunch so you have a slower release to coincide with your insulin?

Another option is skip lunch and see what happens.

Dropping fast can make you feel rough, I get migraine symptoms if I drop too fast and before I go below 4

Thanks for your reply.

It could be. If you’re spiking high after lunch then dropping down quickly, you could try carefully moving your bolus a little earlier. Do this move cautiously in 5 minute increments and see if you can find the sweet spot for your injection. You may even find you can reduce your bolus slightly if you get it injected at the optimum time. I found this when I moved my breakfast bolus - reduced the spike and was able to cut my insulin too.

What sorts of rises are you seeing after lunch @Mattiboy?

And do you get the same most days?

Might it be worth experimenting with your bolus timing to get the peak on insulin action to coincide with the rising BGs to try to level that hump off a bit?

I find a 10-30 minute wait between dosing insulin and starting to eat makes a HUGE difference to my post-meal BGs, though I have to be a bit cautious to avoid a possible dip in BGs before the meal carbs hit if the gap is too long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back