low levels in type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsyferry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
I am new to this site dont know if i am doing the right thing, but i need some advise, I am diganosed 3 months now, and keeping my bloods well under control, but on friday not doing anything different my bloods went down to 3.9 and 3.4 and 3 any idea why this would happen, scared did not no what to do? any ideas why this would happen and what should I do when it does?

Hi All
I am new to this site dont know if i am doing the right thing, but i need some advise, I am diganosed 3 months now, and keeping my bloods well under control, but on friday not doing anything different my bloods went down to 3.9 and 3.4 and 3 any idea why this would happen, scared did not no what to do? any ideas why this would happen and what should I do when it does?

Hi Patsyferry , you dont say if you are on any medication ? some meds will

lower glucose levels . what you are best doing when you get that low is to eat

something , maybe a sandwich or some slow acting Carbs , and maybe

a fast acting glucose as well , glucose tabs , sweet tea or something like that.

Hi and welcome.

Are you on any medication for your diabetes or are you diet/exercise controlled?

Down to those levels would be classed as a hypo and the aim then would be to get your numbers up above 4 or so. Quick working carbohydrate such as fruit juice/sugary drinks or glucose tablets tend to be the preferred method. It's be worth discussing this with your healthcare team though to find out how they feel you should be treating a hypo and to look at any changes to any medication should they happen frequently.

A

(ps, I've moved this to the general message board as it may get more views there)

hi and welcome to the forum
i cant really add to what both addict and aymes had said and as im not yet to have to treat a hyop ( figners crossed) i cant really advise

I am on 500ml of glucophage twice a day

Iam not very familiar with type 2 medication so im not sure if that can lower bloods to hypo levels, it does sound like you had a hypo though. i will have a look and see if i can find out for you , unless anyone else knows?? feel free to jump in anytime guys :D

same as what im on r.e the 2 x glucophage and im yet to have hypo so god knows lol

As far as i can see , Glucophage is another name for Metformin , you cannot hypo on Metformin as far as I am aware . Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. unless of course it is taken with other diabetic medication.

i can only agree as i aint had hypo ever but i know nothing i get the booklet then chuck it when ever i get medication

i can only agree as i aint had hypo ever but i know nothing i get the booklet then chuck it when ever i get medication

i was on metformin for a a while and was told you cant hypo on them unless you have other meds which cause hypos. :confused:

Hi All

Hi Patsyferry, welcome to the forum!

It's not a common problem for Type 2s, particularly with the medication you are taking. I think I have heard that gliclazide can cause lows, but that is different to what you are taking. Had you been doing any strenuous activity prior to the lows, or was it too hot, and long since you had eaten? Non-diabetics can experience low blood sugar, but it is very unusual. Normally, the culprit is when you are on insulin and you have made a miscalculation on the dose.

Do contact your diabetes doctor or nurse as they may need to adjust your medication or treatment regime.

i was on metformin for a a while and was told you cant hypo on them unless you have other meds which cause hypos. :confused:
You've been told a misconception I'm afraid. Metformin does not act to lower BG directly or raise insulin levels like Gliclazide or the other Sulphonlyureas. So metformin cannot CAUSE a hypo, but it IS possible to go hypo on Met. However it is unusual to go hypo.

For me its unusual to go below 3.5 although I have clocked a 2.6.

According to some sources 1500 mg/day is the minimum effective dose of metformin. But this would appear not to be true since Met does work for people at lower levels. So it works at a level of 1000 mg/day for some people.

If you have been diagnosed for 3 months then its possible your control has improved to the point where you can get down to lower levels and its gone too far but this would be unlikely. Exercise brings down BG and can help to lower it for the next 48 hours.

Plus its carbohydrates that raise BG. If you had very little carbohydrate that day and your body is used to more then its possible that your BG simply drifted low.

Patsy - Can you tell us what you ate on that day before getting those numbers. Did you do exercise that day? Were you drinking any alcohol the night before or even on that day? Also how long have you been on metformin/glucophage?

Might be able to come up with an explanation from that.

Hi there

I have been on Metformin for 8 years (along with gliclizide) and have several hypos over the years, when my BG has dropped below 4. I am now on metformin slow release, and have had 1 hypo on this. Normally I take a couple of glucose tabs (Lucozade) but now keep GlucoTabs with me, just in case. If you keep getting hypos you need to speak to your diabetic nurse or doctor.

Mo

Thanks to everyone for their help here, but I realise now that I did not have enough to eat that day especially carbs, and have now made an appointment to see my GP to discuss my meds with, thanks again for all the help
patsy

Thanks to everyone for their help here, but I realise now that I did not have enough to eat that day especially carbs, and have now made an appointment to see my GP to discuss my meds with, thanks again for all the help
patsy

Any time, patsy, any time 🙂 Hope all goes well with the appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back