Low GI bread

M263

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I noticed in my local LIDL that they do an uncut 'low GI' wholemeal cob.
I was wondering if this might be a suitable substitute for other wholemeal bread. I checked their website but there is not much info about the product e.g. nutrients per 100g. Does anyone here have any info about this or other alternatives?
Thanks

I noticed in my local LIDL that they do an uncut 'low GI' wholemeal cob.
I was wondering if this might be a suitable substitute for other wholemeal bread. I checked their website but there is not much info about the product e.g. nutrients per 100g. Does anyone here have any info about this or other alternatives?
Thanks
What dreadful product information, Low GI does not necessarily mean low carbohydrate and people's individual gut bacteria can alter how quickly low GI foods are metabolised.
The only way you would know if you could tolerate it would be by testing your blood glucose with a home monitor.

I have their low gi ancient grain rolls now and again, one roll is around 27g carbs .

I did low fat and low GI.
So, it certainly was good for me.

It's interesting - overall comparing with Hovis thick sliced granary bread - at 100 grams the Lidl option has 31 more calories, mostly this comes from:

more fat 9g Lidl vs 2g for Hovis
more protein 13g Lidl vs 10g for Hovis
more sugars 4g Lidl vs 3.4g for Hovis
Overall carbs are lower 36g Lidl vs 46g Hovis

In general I can swap most stuff like potatoes, pasta and rice, but sometimes you just want a nice piece of bread to mop up some soup or a slice of toast to soak up all the yolk from your poached eggs

It's interesting - overall comparing with Hovis thick sliced granary bread - at 100 grams the Lidl option has 31 more calories, mostly this comes from:

In general I can swap most stuff like potatoes, pasta and rice, but sometimes you just want a nice piece of bread to mop up some soup or a slice of toast to soak up all the yolk from your poached eggs
The other thing to consider is, with an uncut loaf you can easily cut a doorstep which might end up double the size(weight) of a cut loaf and therefore double the carbs. Personally I could not be bothered with weighing a slice of bread each time I cut one and I know that with a really nice loaf.... and that Lidl low GI bread is nice... that I would either cut a doorstep or want a second slice. For me it is easier having an omelette that doesn't require bread to soak up the yolk and probably even more tasty if you add mushrooms and onions and cheese and peppers etc and then have it with a big side salad and a good dollop of cheese coleslaw, there simply isn't any room left to think about bread. That's the way I approach it. Once you learn to live without bread, you don't miss it. It is more a cultural thing than anything else. Not saying you should never have bread or even talk you out of what is a nice tasting loaf and if your BG levels will allow it and your will power will enable you to be disciplined about your consumption, then go for it. For me, the less carbs I eat, the less I want them so a low carb diet without bread is relatively easy for me to stick with for the rest of my life. You have to find what works for you.

Lidl do an own brand small wholemeal loaf for around 80p , which is tasty and only 10g carbs per slice , and they are not tiny slices either.

The other thing to consider is, with an uncut loaf you can easily cut a doorstep which might end up double the size(weight) of a cut loaf and therefore double the carbs. Personally I could not be bothered with weighing a slice of bread each time I cut one and I know that with a really nice loaf.... and that Lidl low GI bread is nice... that I would either cut a doorstep or want a second slice. For me it is easier having an omelette that doesn't require bread to soak up the yolk and probably even more tasty if you add mushrooms and onions and cheese and peppers etc and then have it with a big side salad and a good dollop of cheese coleslaw, there simply isn't any room left to think about bread. That's the way I approach it. Once you learn to live without bread, you don't miss it. It is more a cultural thing than anything else. Not saying you should never have bread or even talk you out of what is a nice tasting loaf and if your BG levels will allow it and your will power will enable you to be disciplined about your consumption, then go for it. For me, the less carbs I eat, the less I want them so a low carb diet without bread is relatively easy for me to stick with for the rest of my life. You have to find what works for you.

Even I have a fried egg, soaking into a freshly sliced piece of bread, and the GI load is even lower with the egg in the mix.

Back