Low carb lunches ( no salads )

snowball12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Afternoon, I am struggling with low carb lunches. I usually have a wholemeal bread sandwich with a protein filling just because I have to eat! I have eggs at breakfast. A bit stuck as I have to have some carbs due to medication and IBS, thanks

I still haven't found my way round appropriate food but the freshwell app is helpful. I am now retired so don't have the sandwich etc to work. Do you have access to a microwave? As it gets colder soup would be a good option.
My favourite sandwich at the moment is robust rye from M and S with full fat cream cheese and smoked salmon. I personally like the lemon and pepper which is thinly sliced. Some of the carb amounts on the rye bread look quite high but they are for 100 gms. I do it as an open sandwich ie one slice which is probably nearer 25 gms but haven't tried weighing it yet. If I want a little more I buy a packet of steamed beetroot from M and S which is easy to seal and the beetroot is small. I go to a class in my local city and M and S is close to the bus station. The other lunches I like are purely pesto hummus. It's made in Suffolk but i buy it in Norfolk. I like the butterbean one, with raw veg to dip radish, cauli carrot etc. I don't know how you cater at home but you could take a portion of stew or whatever to work. Lidl and Aldi being German companies have a reasonable selection of rye bread or rolls cream cheese and salmon obviously cheaper than M and S.
I make for myself a nigella recipe of poached salmon with watercress pumpkin seeds and avocado. Can be made easily with hot smoked salmon which is already cooked.

If any of these suggestions are bad for ibs that is my ignorance.
Good luck

Last edited:
Can you cope with cheese and nuts @snowball12? I know you need some carbs so maybe something like ryvita with, as @saffron15 suggests, full fat cream cheese?

At this time of year, for lunch, I particularly enjoy a chunk of really nice cheese and half an apple as they are at their best just now. English apples of course, like Cox's or Braeburn or maybe even a Russett. I tend not to need much for lunch these days or even meals in general since going low carb and ensuring that I have plenty of healthy fats in my diet. Cheese is a great mix of protein and fat, so it is filling and comes in lots of different flavours and textures. Add a bowl of homemade soup if cheese and half an apple on it's own, doesn't seem enough or a cup of coffee with real cream.

I tend to mostly have soups in winter, my work has a microwave. They often have small amounts of carbs from the veg, and sometimes I have a slice of seeded bread toasted with them too (I'm liking Jason's protein "sourdough" at present). If hungrier then some cheese adds to the nutrition without adding much in the way of carbs.

Cauliflower cheese (again if you have a microwave to reheat) is fairly low carb but has some in the cheese sauce too.

Or if no microwave then there's things like falafel and houmous that aren't too high in carbs but do have some

I would definitely agree with @42istheanswer....falafel and houmous are a good thing to have...they are not too high in carbs and,coming from a meat eaters point of view,they are absolutely delicious🙂

I find falafels and hummus both consistently spike my levels higher than they should for their carb content. I am the same with most pulses and it seems that my gut has the ability to digest more of the fibre in them than it should, so it might be wise to test your reaction to these foods before making them a regular part of your diet.

That said, today I had cheese coleslaw on ham (no bread). I usually roll the ham slices up if I am having this and also tuck lettuce and or tomato inside, so it is like a wrap but with ham instead of a bread wrap. I then had a little bit of left over hummus (a rare treat for me, but I had injected insulin to cover it) with cucumber slices followed by a square of 70% dark chocolate broken into quarters and each quarter eaten with a little dollop of peanut butter on it. Breaking it into 4 mean you savour each little mouthful and that makes it last a bit longer. I washed it down with a cup of Rooibos tea.

And just to prove a point about hummus, my levels have now shot up from 4 to 13 and still rising despite injecting insulin for the little bit I had. I really should know better than to buy it, but I do love it! When will I learn!

Back