Low Carb Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicsetter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have discovered a strange effect of a low carb diet. I try and restrict myself to as few complex carbs as I can, but have found my BG being higher than I would like and my post meal readings taking a long time to reduce to pre-meal values. Recently I gave in to my longing for bread and had a couple of onion baguettes (100g each) for lunch with my chicken & salad. This put me up to 12.7 2hrs after from my pre-meal reading of 5.9 but an hour later I was down to 4.8.
Subsequent tests have revealed that I need a dose of white bread at lunch time to bring me down. Current theory postulated by my daughter (who is a hospital registrar) and confirmed as possible by my GP is that the white bread stimulates my body to produce insulin. Has anyone else seen something like this?

I've been following a restricted carb diet almost since day 1 and it did help initially. However, my condition is more complicated than was first thought. I'm still trying to deal with this as though I'm a T2, though recently I've had a few 'slips': like Sushi for lunch where the white rice didn't send me as high as I thought it would. I'm not sure why my numbers are all over the place but I suspect it has more to do with the fact that I don't know how to cope with LADA and nor do my medical team than with my diet. I do seem to have a bit more energy on the low GI diet, so I reckon I'll stick to it for now and try not to slip too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back