Low carb and vision problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline1967

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
HI
When I was first diagnosed in May last year my vision became really bad, ended up not working for a month and not being able to drive for ages. I thought it was high BG that was causing but other research said it could have been the low carb diet.

I have recently had a problem with my medication and needed to change it as my BG was quite raised again. My levels are really good when I check now (I have never been lower that 8 before!) I am also sticking to a really low carb diet - about 40 or 50g a day. I am really pleased with the glucose levels but today I am sure my eyes are going again. I wear varifocals and I can only really see properly through the bottom part of the lens which is exactly what happened in May - although in May it got much worse.

I wonder if anyone else has had the same problems and if they managed to do anything to prevent their sight shifting again. It is really freaking me out that I may not be able to see properly again.

Thanks
Caroine

Changes to the eye environment will affect your vision, this can be because your glucose level has gone down quicky so the eye environment changes from sugary to the more normal salty.
I should settle down as your blood glucose stabilises but if you are concerned then get your optician to check but do remember to tell them about your diabetes. They should not reccomend a change of glasses until your level is more stable.

Hi.
It isn't actually the low carb diet which is directly responsible for your change in vision, it is the fact that it has lowered your BG levels back into range, but your eyes haven't yet adjusted to the new in range BG levels. This would have happened regardless of whether you were eating low carb to achieve the lower BG levels or injecting insulin. Many of us resorted to ready reader glasses from the pound shop to enable us to read during the interim period, usually 2-3 months. Obviously, if your distance vision is impacted then that makes it more tricky. Some people have found that they could actually see distance better without glasses during this period when previously they needed glasses. The important thing is not to invest in new prescription specs until your vision becomes stable again which is usually 2-3 months after your BG levels are stable. Unfortunately this is just one of the many aggravating things about diabetes, but another good reason to maintain good BG management once you get things stable. Good luck.

Thanks. It is good to know that it isn’t the low carb as that is working well for me. My vision is pretty rubbish to be honest and it doesn’t take much for me to notice a problem! In May it was so scary as couldn’t see with or without my glasses. It is not that bad at the minute and I really don’t want it to get that bad again!! I guess I will have to wait and see.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Changes to the eye environment will affect your vision, this can be because your glucose level has gone down quicky so the eye environment changes from sugary to the more normal salty.
I should settle down as your blood glucose stabilises but if you are concerned then get your optician to check but do remember to tell them about your diabetes. They should not reccomend a change of glasses until your level is more stable.
Thank you for replying. It make complete sense what you are saying. I am just hoping it will settle down again soon.
Thanks
Caroline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back