Low Carb and Blood Sugar

Oblivious

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, can someone please let me know how quickly eating low carbs will/should be reflected in my blood sugar readings?
I am having 80g of carbs per day (measured on my old digital pharmaceutical scales) and taking 20 units Humulin M3 and 500mg Metformin in the morning and 18 units and another 500mg in the evening. been eating low carb for 4 or 5 weeks and my average BS is still around 9 or 10. Should this be lower by now?

EDIT - also i'll point out that i'm using a home gym and keeping active walking 3 dogs

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i think it can vary from person to person. I’ve see posts from people talking about having to come out of what they described as ‘glucotoxicity’

perhaps you could talk to your nurse about adjusting those doses by a small percentage?

Filignano

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I am T2 and inject Humulim 3. I take 24 units in the morning and 12 at night, plus exercise every day. My counts are usually around 8-15 during the day however I am usually around 10 before bed. I have to have a slice of toast or a digestive biscuit as I need this to get me through the night without a hypo.
As suggested talking to the nurse is the best option, however every time I go all they say to me is Take more insulin?

Oblivious

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I am T2 and inject Humulim 3. I take 24 units in the morning and 12 at night, plus exercise every day. My counts are usually around 8-15 during the day however I am usually around 10 before bed. I have to have a slice of toast or a digestive biscuit as I need this to get me through the night without a hypo.
As suggested talking to the nurse is the best option, however every time I go all they say to me is Take more insulin?
why would your nurse tell you to take more insulin if you feel you are having hypos?

Metformin now at 1000mg twice a day, insulin at 20 units morning and 18 evening, my BS is now between 6 and 8, i only eat three meals a day totalling 90g of carbs with my last meal at 8 and i never hypo

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Filignano
Humulin M3 is a mixed insulin, containing 70% of a slower acting insulin and 30% of a faster one. Neither is particularly fast or slow so not much good for T1s. Rather than snacking when your BG is already in double figures, I suggest you reduce the night time dose. Take notes as to what happens then and if you can't interpret the results yourself, tell us and we'll have a go. Try 11u first, always take it slowly when experimenting.