Low calorie, low carb,low sugar....

Sunnyside3049

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all ,in this hot weather I am craving ice cream and ice lollies, any suggestions please, I am T2, and trying to lose weight, thanks in advance Sue x

Hi all ,in this hot weather I am craving ice cream and ice lollies, any suggestions please, I am T2, and trying to lose weight, thanks in advance Sue x
I have used frozen berries blended up with yoghurt which makes a sort of ice cream. It is better eaten immediately as if you freeze it it can go too hard.

I roughly mashed fresh berries and mixed them with yogurt (50/50) with a small amount of maple syrup to sweeten (a powdered sweetener could be used). Then I froze them using lolly moulds.

This would not be scoopable if frozen in a tub.
But if frozen in portion sized tubs, then you could move a small tub to the fridge about 30 mins before you intend to eat it to let it soften up. This should give you a desert closer to an ice cream consistency.
EDIT: For low calorie just use a good quality fat free yogurt (I use Fage, they do zero fat and 5% fat versions)

Last edited:
Use no added sugar squash to make lollies, whisk in some yoghurt or cream and blitzed berries for different textures.
Real icecream is a custard made with cream and eggs, which is easy enough to make, and sweeten with berries or an artificial sweetener. I make walnut and honey ice cream - with a very small amount of honey just to flavour - actually it is more the smell of it, I suspect.
I found that eating low carb was the key to weightloss - restricting calories and fat never worked for me.

Back