low blood sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicola59

Hi, I get bouts of low blood sugar , being 3,2 the last read. Its a horrible feeling that just washes over me giving me fast heartbeat and an anxious feeling. Ive experienced this for years but never realised what it was until I tested my blood while having one of these occurrences. I'm not diagnosed as diabetic, have anyone got any advice. Thanks

Welcome 🙂The first thing to do is to ask for a general check-up from your GP @nicola59 Its worth ruling out obvious causes.

I’d advise keeping a notebook and writing down your meals and when you feel this low sugar. Write what you ate and at what time, and see if there’s any pattern. Eating 5 or 6 small meals a day and not going too long without food can help.

Welcome 🙂The first thing to do is to ask for a general check-up from your GP @nicola59 Its worth ruling out obvious causes.

I’d advise keeping a notebook and writing down your meals and when you feel this low sugar. Write what you ate and at what time, and see if there’s any pattern. Eating 5 or 6 small meals a day and not going too long without food can help.
Thank you

You could also ask for an HbA1C blood test. This is to check for diabetes. Occasionally people with diabetes will go high and then plunge too low as an over-reaction to that high sugar. You’d notice the lows more than the highs (if they were moderate highs).

Last edited:
Hello Nicola

Sorry to hear about the hypoglycaemia you are experiencing.

Have you got yourself a home BG meter to get those readings? Which one have you gone for?

Home BG meters aren’t really intended for diagnostic purposes (they all have an allowable variability from lab results).

It does sound like something you should check with your GP. Hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose) can be a standalone condition. At diagnosis, diabetes is more commonly associated with high blood glucose.

Let us know what you find out 🙂

Hi, I get bouts of low blood sugar , being 3,2 the last read. Its a horrible feeling that just washes over me giving me fast heartbeat and an anxious feeling. Ive experienced this for years but never realised what it was until I tested my blood while having one of these occurrences. I'm not diagnosed as diabetic, have anyone got any advice. Thanks
It’s worth going to your GP and ask for a HbA1C blood test like @Inka suggested. There is a separate condition from diabetes called Reactive Hypoglycaemia which is where your pancreas won’t react as soon as you eat but when your BG goes high your pancreas will over react with too much insulin. But then again there is always the variation that home BG meters are allowed to have from lab tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back