Low blood sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lileth

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year after glucose was discovered in my urine. I have had three blood tests since and as all have shown a high sugar level, my metformin has been increased. As I have RA and Crohn’s they were unsure about the type of diabetes I had. No further tests were carried out and so I have tried to lower sugar with diet and metformin. I got a testing kit to keep an eye on things. My concern is I get shaky, feel ill and test, always getting a reading of low. After a spoon of honey, it goes up, but should this be happening and should I try to get appointment with diabetic nurse? (Not an easy task).

What exact readings are you getting when you feel shaky @Lileth ? What are your readings like before this - ie how high do you go?

You mentioned in your other thread that they thought you might be Type 1/LADA? Have you had any tests regarding this?

Hi my monitor says lo, I have some honey and retest 15 minutes later and it’s at between 8-10. They just keep saying they will keep an eye, but no further tests. To be honest, you have to hassle them to even get seen. I’m just a bit concerned as it’s happening quite frequently but don’t want to go to doctors if I don’t need to.

I was diagnosed borderline pre-diabetic some years ago and I used to suffer terribly with what you describe, shakey and like all my energy had suddenly gone. I don’t know what your diet is like but for me what has worked is to eat better overall, slow release carbs and cutting out most processed foods -many of which seem to have a lot of the goodness taken out and a lot of sugar added in to make up for it. I am an avid label reader -not just the nuritional values but the ingredients too -which are loosely listed by percentage even though it doesn’t say so. Its probably more expensive but I feel better for it. I’m not a medic so I don’t know how your other conditions affect what you can eat but if you can go for more protien and complex carbs and a bit of ’healthy’ oil it might help with these horrible episodes.

I was diagnosed borderline pre-diabetic some years ago and I used to suffer terribly with what you describe, shakey and like all my energy had suddenly gone. I don’t know what your diet is like but for me what has worked is to eat better overall, slow release carbs and cutting out most processed foods -many of which seem to have a lot of the goodness taken out and a lot of sugar added in to make up for it. I am an avid label reader -not just the nuritional values but the ingredients too -which are loosely listed by percentage even though it doesn’t say so. Its probably more expensive but I feel better for it. I’m not a medic so I don’t know how your other conditions affect what you can eat but if you can go for more protien and complex carbs and a bit of ’healthy’ oil it might help with these horrible episodes.
Hi thanks for your reply, I think my diet is pretty healthy, I don’t eat processed foods at all, haven’t for years because of the Crohn’s disease. I probably eat less fruit than I should, again because of the Crohn’s but overall I enjoy cooking so eat a varied diet. I have never been overweight, but did have gestational diabetes.

Which monitor is it @Lileth ? Some monitors say LO just because there’s not enough blood on the strip.
Hi, it is an accusure 582 machine. I’m a bit of a bleeder to be honest, so there’s always quite a lot of blood

Hi, it is an accusure 582 machine. I’m a bit of a bleeder to be honest, so there’s always quite a lot of blood

I’ve just looked at the meter instructions as I’m not familiar with that one. It says that if you get a LO reading, your blood sugar is below 1.1mmol. You’d very likely be unconscious if it was that low (that really is dangerously low) so I doubt the reading is accurate.

Someone else had a similar problem a few months ago with a different meter. Some are better than others.

Are your hands totally dry before testing, assuming you’re washing them first. They couldn’t be a bit damp and diluting the reading could they?

Are you sure it is the actual reading with is showing as low rather than the battery indicator showing the battery is low or the temperature is too low. Both will display LO

I’ve just looked at the meter instructions as I’m not familiar with that one. It says that if you get a LO reading, your blood sugar is below 1.1mmol. You’d very likely be unconscious if it was that low (that really is dangerously low) so I doubt the reading is accurate.

Someone else had a similar problem a few months ago with a different meter. Some are better than others.
Hi, in the instructions it does say it’s very low and honey does bring it up, so it may be a bit out. I’ve tested on my children (much to their delight!) and get normal readings, hence my concern. I’ve booked in with nurse just to check and started carrying sweets with me, as I’m not able to drive when it happens. Thanks for your advice.

Are you sure it is the actual reading with is showing as low rather than the battery indicator showing the battery is low or the temperature is too low. Both will display LO
Hi, it’s definitely the reading, it’s occasionally been 1.5. Always low when I feel this way though. I’ve decided to contact nurse, but thanks for your reply

Are your hands totally dry before testing, assuming you’re washing them first. They couldn’t be a bit damp and diluting the reading could they?
I do wash my hands first, so this could be a possibility. I just feel so bad when it happens and am confused about how often it occurs. Going to speak to nurse now, thanks for your reply

One thought: if you have your blood sugar tested at your GP's surgery or another healthcare provider, you could do a blood test at the same time with your meter. Comparing the results could give confidence that your meter is accurate, or at least close to what the GP's meter says (assuming theirs is accurate, of course).

One thought: if you have your blood sugar tested at your GP's surgery or another healthcare provider, you could do a blood test at the same time with your meter. Comparing the results could give confidence that your meter is accurate, or at least close to what the GP's meter says (assuming theirs is accurate, of course).
Hi that’s a great idea thanks, I’ll try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back