Low blood sugar ‘can lead to heart attacks’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sudden heart attacks which kill young people in their sleep could be triggered by low blood sugar levels brought on by diabetes, Sheffield researchers have found.

Academics from Sheffield University’s human metabolism department and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals have discovered that prolonged periods of heart rhythm disturbance can be caused by hypoglycaemia - plummeting blood sugar levels.

The study was conducted with a group of older patients with Type 2 diabetes and a history of heart disease. But the findings could also shed new light on so-called ‘dead in bed’ syndrome, which refers to sudden deaths of young, otherwise healthy diabetics.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/healt...ood-sugar-can-lead-to-heart-attacks-1-6584035

Sort of on this subject CRY do free screening for 14-35yr olds across the country- Ive had H Screened- You just go on their website and see when there is a screening local to you

Yes, I was told this by the paediatric endocrinology consultant from Leeds - she said that it seems that in some individuals, being low for a number of hours can affect the heart rhythm, leading to DIB. This is the reason I test my son's BG in the night.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back