Low BG when out with Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marier

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Friends just wondered if you guys could mayb help me a little seen as were at weekend and i cant speak to any of my Diabetes Team, Have notice that everytime i go with my lovely Lab a walk even if it just 5/10 min my BG drops When i go my own walk which is usually 30 min i do Temp Basal -60% for 1 hour and i have got that working perfectly for me no more hypos few hours after my walk. My Question is this if i mayb start at -20 % how long do i do it for ?? Can you do a temp when your getting coat on just before i go walk as not always sure what time il be going if that makes sence . and would i stop it once im home never go very far with him may 20 min sometimes 10 min
Marie

Had done Basal Test from 7 till 12 miday and im ok also just done my 12 miday till 6 pm and got that sorted Ratio is all ok so i deffo know its exercise
Marie

If I just want to go out without planning I eat and set tbr. Trial and error s the only way to work it out I am afraid.

I usually set a TBR of 20% about 20 mins before walking with my lab.

hi phil thank you

decide to try myself this am did - 40% 30 min befor i went dog walk for 3 hours as housework day upstairs also .

10.45 BG 9.7 Pump corect .70
11.35 BG 11.7 breakfast yogurt 24 cp pump 3.0
12.07 dog walk BG 13.7 (25min)
12.37 BG 9.6
1.45 BG 6.7
2.45 BG 8.7
3.40 BG 7.1 temp all finished and no Insulin in system had cuppa with mini wagon wheel + digestive 2 cp

4.50 BG 6.2

not really sure if i go out later with dog should i try -20% do i do 30 min before or just when wee go

TBRs are tricky for unplanned exercise aren't they. The problem is that the basal insulin that has been going in for the last hour or two will be what is 'peak' active while you are out.

When I know I need basal to help with activity I try to start it at least 30 mins beforehand, preferably an hour, so that the reduced basal is already taking effect when the activity begins. I realise that this is not always practical though, so a few top-up carbs here and there are probably going to be necessary IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back