Lost insulin at injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
So judt tried to inject 7.5 uniys for my breakfast. Got needle in fine, started injecting and it got harder to do, but got to the end but as i withdrew the jeedke i saw some spurt ouy even thouth i had waited and iy loojed like it had also pushed back out of the site. I rekon i could have list a unit to a unit and a half. On mdi how do i cope with that. Its scaring me.

Just given a half unit. That was a given im sure.

Sorry to hear your injection went a bit wonky @gillrogers

It is stressful when some unknown quantity of insulin leaks out of a site, or seems not to have made it into the right place somehow. Try not to be too anxious though. I think a modest correction like you have given is probably a wise precaution. Just make a couple of extra checks during the morning, and/or mop up and BG rise at lunchtime.

You don’t want to overdo it and risk giving yourself a hypo or causing stacked insulin chaos 🙂

Sounds like the needle may not have punctured the cartridge seal correctly. That would account for the resistance felt as the dialled up dose had nowhere to go. Possibly not fully screwed on or just a rogue needle.

Follow @everydayupsanddowns' advice & all should be fine. You can always add a further correction if needed.

Thanks both, itd not going as bad as i had expected thank god. To be honest i think the problem .is me. I think my thumb is getting a bit weak. Ive had probkems on and off over the years with it and ive had little hiccups injecting but this one seems the biggest.

I very occasionally get this too, I've obviously injected into an area which has no absorption ability. Exactly as you describe very hard to push the insulin in and then it comes back out once you withdraw the needle - for me it usually results in a "bubble" (of insulin) just under the skin which I massage in (after covering the hole to prevent too much coming out.)

I must admit I don't tend to notice much difference so I assume I've not lost too much (this is my basal insulin as it only happens in my thighs which is where I inject that insulin), but then again I also stack bolus all day and exercise so it would probably be quite hard to tell the difference on a one-off basis.

If I hit a small capillary then I get a bit of blood and no doubt insulin leaking out and sometimes a bleb forms under the surface which will eventually dissipate into a bruise after a couple of days, but I have never noticed it being difficult/resistant to being injected. I don't worry about it if a bit does seep back out. I will just need to give myself a correction later. It isn't a big deal. As long as I know why I need that correction, I am happy enough. That said, I have not had one that squirted out, but even so, you have Libre so you can monitor your levels and adjust it later. If your levels go a bit high on one occasion, it's no big deal in the scheme of things. You just need to be a bit more chilled about your diabetes management. :D 😎

Does help knowing im not the only one this happens to. I know i need to be more chilled. Find it nigh on impossible to be. It would help if i could settle into something thats less erratic for me. Again my 20 year old ypungest has a stinker of a cold, basal started coming down as it does when ive pickedup something, a week later still no cold othrr than the odd tickle in the troat and some sneezes and its now coming back up. But it does it gradulally but being on such a low basal dose a half unit can equate to a 25% adjustment which can be too much so i need to wait a bit longer.

Does help knowing im not the only one this happens to. I know i need to be more chilled. Find it nigh on impossible to be. It would help if i could settle into something thats less erratic for me. Again my 20 year old ypungest has a stinker of a cold, basal started coming down as it does when ive pickedup something, a week later still no cold othrr than the odd tickle in the troat and some sneezes and its now coming back up. But it does it gradulally but being on such a low basal dose a half unit can equate to a 25% adjustment which can be too much so i need to wait a bit longer.
You are showing just how well you have got your head round the variations we have to manage with all that we do. Well done Gill

Hope you get some support with the anxiety.
If it helps, my levels are all over the place from 16s down to hypoland the last couple of days, despite being restrained with my diet. It will settle back down soon and I am just fire fighting till I hit calmer waters or see a pattern that I can address. It is the nature of diabetes that you get these wobbly patches.

Hope you get some support with the anxiety.
If it helps, my levels are all over the place from 16s down to hypoland the last couple of days, despite being restrained with my diet. It will settle back down soon and I am just fire fighting till I hit calmer waters or see a pattern that I can address. It is the nature of diabetes that you get these wobbly patches.
Oh Barbera, im firefighting all the time. Doesnt let up other than when my basal or a bolus comes down and i cant tell the difference as thry usually go together. Ive got a 12 week wait for a phsycologist through Lets Talk. Just hope my consultant can find me one quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back