Lost all motivation

Sambo34

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been type 1 diabetic for the last 21 years. Up until 4 or 5 years ago I never let it get to me or stop me from doin things. For the last 9 years I have also been caring for my dad who developed vascular dementia. Because of this I have started to think what is the point, wen dad got really bad it took the social worker 4 months to arrange carer at a cost to me of over £2500. Dad was smart he had kids to look after him now I wonder what will happen to me if I get to that age, unlike him i will have nobody to sort care out for me...

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear you are feeling so down @Sambo34 :(

It is quite common and natural for people living with diabetes to have worries about the future, and to occasionally to have periods of low mood from time to time, but diabetes can also bring increased risk of clinical depression, so it’s important to keep an eye on your mental health and to seek extra support as soon as you realise that you are beginning to struggle.

MIND have excellent resources online (https://www.mind.org.uk/)

Getting help and staying safe is really important. Please do reach out to your GP to discuss how you are feeling, and see what help and support they can offer. If that feels too much, please call the Diabetes UK helpline on 0345 123 2399 weekdays during office hours,

And if you ever find yourself in a dark place and feeling hopeless please call the Samaritans (call free on 116 123) who are available 24 hours a day and ready to listen.

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Sambo34 You seem to have a bad night I’m so sorry, there are contact details above that I hope you use. My Mum had 9 years of deteriorating brain damage through strokes. I struggled for 2 years but with other pressures I didn’t do a good job. I took the unthinkable step and put her in a home but looking back it gave us the chance to to have quality visits without all the other responsibilities, at first we were able to laugh and chat. I have some ideas of the pressures you are under and it’s so very hard but keep fighting and keep using whatever help there is. I found a voluntary group who held meetings and treats for Carer’s, see what’s available where you are. Don’t think to the future too much we really don’t have any idea of how it will be.
You’re in my thoughts, take care of you too.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Sambo34 When bad things happen in life, the stupid diabetes is always there and it does add to the stress because it takes up a place in your head when all you really want to do is process the bad thing and get yourself ok emotionally.

When the bad thing is a health thing then it also makes you think about your own health - that’s very natural. It can be depressing, especially when it’s someone so close to you because it makes you think about your own future.

All I can say is don’t let worries about the future take over your mind. Focus on the here and now. Try to find positives and do things you enjoy even if it’s only a tiny thing.

I agree with @Annemarie that sometimes a Home is a good option. It allows the care to be done professionally and frees the relative to concentrate on their relationship with their much loved relative. I’m not, of course, saying you should do that, but just mentioning it because the reality of a good care home is not like we sometimes fear. Two relatives of mine were in care homes and they were very well looked after by lovely people.

Finally - just a hug for you. I know it’s hard. X