Loss since diagnosis 3 months ago & what is the devine formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Lost 2 stones in weight, from 74.9kg to 62.3kg from overweight to normal range on the BMI Scale,
Lost 2 dress sizes down, I will need to go shopping soon 😉

Looked at my medical records and discovered that GP had originally marked my HbA1c of 50 as normal
That on the Devine scale my ideal weight is 8 stone 9lbs or 54.7kg I have never heard of this scale until today and wondered if anyone here has?

I turned to google and found this

"To calculate your ideal body weight in pounds, you can use the modified Devine formula. For men: 110.23 lb + 5.1 lb per every inch over 5 feet. For women: 100.3 lb + 5.1 lb per every inch over 5 feet."

Last edited:
More research suggested that this was a very basic formula used for calculating dose of medication, that it had been very successful in the field but had a number of flaws including it didn't take into account age, environment etc.
Can't find any information about it on NHS site so why is it on my notes :confused:
Will be asking the question!

Can't really help you at all @Wannie but my eyes would roll up at any formula that suggested that the first decimal place let alone the second decimal place had any meaning in calculating an "ideal" weight in lbs.

Can't really help you at all @Wannie but my eyes would roll up at any formula that suggested that the first decimal place let alone the second decimal place had any meaning in calculating an "ideal" weight in lbs.
Thank you @Docb for your response, curious/irritated that on getting access to my medical records I see that the GP had said my Hb1AC was normal at 50 and immediately following "Devine ideal body weight 8st 9lbs", have contacted surgery and hoping for an appointment to learn more. I haven't weighed 8st anything since my 20's four decades ago. :rofl:

My personal take on BM I, not heard of Devine by the way. Is I am more than happy to have a BMI in the upper end of the normal range for my height, and I have been there for the last few years, and fairly stable. Where I previously strived for 20 + years and failed miserably.

My personal take on BM I, not heard of Devine by the way. Is I am more than happy to have a BMI in the upper end of the normal range for my height, and I have been there for the last few years, and fairly stable. Where I previously strived for 20 + years and failed miserably.
Thank you for your response, I agree with your take, healthy range for my 5'4" is 49.2kg to 66.4kg am as of yesterday 62.3kg so am in healthy range and happy with that at the moment. Just confused/curious as to why this Devine method is even mentioned on my records when NHS uses BMI. Will get an answer from GP when I get to talk to one!

Hope you get answer I thought it strange the definition you found used imperial measurements where BMI is metric.

Hope you get answer I thought it strange the definition you found used imperial measurements where BMI is metric.
Thank you, I think its all strange, especially reading that it had been very successful in the field, I think after reading a fair bit about it last night that it was a measure used by Drs/Surgeons? in field of battle when they needed to measure doses of medicines, which if I'm correct makes it even stranger that a GP is using it in 2022 :confused:

Last edited:
There seems to be a number of different methods of calculating 'ideal' weight with respect to height but all have limitations depending on the population, whether people are people short, or tall, what ethnicity etc.
The Devine method was devised specifically for drug or anaesthetic administration but has been used more widely.

Looking at Wikipedia suggests three methods of getting some sort of idea of a good body weight for a given height. One, calculating a BMI is the one we are most familiar with. The Devine method (named after the man who started it) was devised for a specific purpose but later became more universal in its use. I'm guessing he was American and that the use of the method is more common there than in the UK. Quite why your GP uses it is mystery, which hopefully he/she will clear up for you.

The formulae given in Wikipedia for the Devine method are as follows:
  • Male ideal body weight = 50 kilograms (110 lb) + 0.9 kilograms (2.0 lb) × (height (cm) − 152)
  • Female ideal body weight = 45.5 kilograms (100 lb) + 0.9 kilograms (2.0 lb) × (height (cm) − 152)
which have got rid of those silly fractions of a lb. I'll leave you to calculate your "Ideal" body weight by each method and compare them. If nothing else it will show the empirical nature of the idea of ideal body weight.

Odd that they class 50 as normal.. I was told in April my BG was 50 and I was diabetic and needed to reduce the hba1c

Thank you all for your responses @travellor just looked at the site you referred to it seems there are many formulae that can be used after putting in my height this is the result :rofl::rofl:

Odd that they class 50 as normal.. I was told in April my BG was 50 and I was diabetic and needed to reduce the hba1c
Sorry I may have been misleading in my post, I was diagnosed as diabetic with a HbA1c of 50 on the 30th May this year and contacted by the diabetic lead nurse from the GP practice and have been following my own low carb diet and using a meter to test my BG.
This GP practice is new to me having relocated in 2020 and it has taken them some time to give me access to my records online. It was when looking through my records that I saw one of the GP's had marked the results from May as normal and mentioned this ideal weight using Devine formula, which I'd never heard of, and thought it was all a bit strange

Ahhh right, I understand. Have you brought the hba1c of 50 down at all since then?

Ahhh right, I understand. Have you brought the hba1c of 50 down at all since then?
Haven't been tested since May, DN suggested the end of September which will be four months but only 3 since I saw her and started using a meter to see what foods have the biggest impact, I have learnt that as much as I love bread, my body doesn't :(
How are you doing? have you managed to reduce your number or waiting for a re-test?

I’ve got a retest tomorrow. I might know results on Friday. I’ve been cutting carbs and the numbers have dropped but not hugely. I’ll see what happens. Bread isn’t great for me either but I love it and I do have it but only one slice instead of two. Someone suggested the seriously low carb bread was quite good and I’ve been buying that. I freeze it and take out what I need. It’s ok toasted and tbh it fills the bread craving and less than one carb a slice so I’m glad of it.

I’ve got a retest tomorrow. I might know results on Friday. I’ve been cutting carbs and the numbers have dropped but not hugely. I’ll see what happens. Bread isn’t great for me either but I love it and I do have it but only one slice instead of two. Someone suggested the seriously low carb bread was quite good and I’ve been buying that. I freeze it and take out what I need. It’s ok toasted and tbh it fills the bread craving and less than one carb a slice so I’m glad of it.
Exciting let us know when you can I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
I've been making keto bread and its ok but not the same as warm bread with Jam, or Garlic Butter or...... I'll have to stop thinking about it my mouth is watering 😉 :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back