Losing the trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Goode

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Carly still getting hypo frequently but now losing the trigger, she used to signs eg shivering, asking for biscuits but now I rely on blood monitor again - DSN said her body is now used to hypos :-(

Hi Ruth, I myself have had this problem too. After diagnosis I could pick up on a hypo really quickly from shivering and sweating, but now it seems to have to get really low before I feel it. Last night my bg dropped to 2.9 as I was watching tv with my sister and I felt really sick, so hopefully my body is starting to react again. Hope all is well with your daughter, its very scary knowing you cant feel it going low :(

Try aiming a little higher with the sugars for a week or something.

Instead of 5-6, try 7-8, you can do this in the corrections or you can chop a unit off here and there at meal times.....

Hope they come back soon...........:D

Last edited:
Yes, it is scary she went 2.1 three times this week :-( I'll just have to keep checking her more, maybe you should too x

her average units is only 2 and 1/2, taking a unit off will set her off higher :-( I have reduced it by half this morning, she went 3.4 (sigh)

Hope the triggers and hypo awareness comes back. Hope everything is OK.

I lose my warning signs every now and then, my consultant advised me to run high(er) for 2 weeks to get them back, so target 6-8 instead of 4-7 - it's because the body gets used to feeling low, so it's the new normal.

Hope she gets them back soon - is she able to tell you how she feels yet, does she recognise it herself ever? Must be really hard with her being so young.

I was diagnosed when i was 2 and the lack of triggers may be something that is intermittent because she is young. I had several episodes when I was very young where one minute I was fine and then fell down with a hypo. In those days it was guess work as we didn't have blood glucose monitors -but as I grew older I had symptoms nearly all the time and haven't collapsed because of a low sugar for 26 years (touch wood) so hopefully Carly's hypo symptoms will return soon

Last edited:
Carol doesn't seem to get the triggers either. Even at 2 last week she only thought she was hungry as it was near dinner time.

All this show we all need blood strips, not reducing them! Im lucky I have no problem to get them but DSN did suggested I reduced testing her beacuse of her fingers but her fingers are fine

The demand for test strips is only going to get higher as more diabetics choose to take better control of the condition............

Hopefully this might force the manufacturers to come up with more effective cheaper solutions in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back