Loop system

Status
Not open for further replies.

May Rhymer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Can anyone confirm where we are with the Loop system please?
My husband currently has the Omnipod Dash along with his Libra Sensor.
His nurse mentioned about the Loop system being nearly ready to go out to patients. I think he will need the Dexcom Sensor with new Omnipod 3 to enable the Loop system to work.
Any advice or guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Can anyone confirm where we are with the Loop system please?
Waiting on NICE to publish the final TA, I think, which is expected in May.

If he's already using a pump which could loop, it's worth pestering politely asking the hospital and seeing if they'll offer the right sensors. (I think that's how the guidelines are supposed to work, but it's also clear that that's not what's happening in many cases.)

Thanks for your your speedy response Bruce.
The nurse indicated it may be around July time, so,we may be a step closer for people to be prescribed the new system.
Much appreciated.
Regards
May

In our area there are more offers for children than for adults, and a limited number for both.

I was told that if the option of looping became available to adults (as Bruce says the final NICE guidelines are expected soon) it would be less training costs if they started with those that were already self funding the system. I shall wait and see.

Ok, thanks for your response.
It will be a shame if they do adopt the process of enabling self funders first.
In my view, it should be needs led approach!
Regards
May

It will be a shame if they do adopt the process of enabling self funders first.
I see your point, but I can see merit in simultaneously helping people who aren't so needy.

Self funders should be easy and low cost. They're already using a pump (which is most of the cost) and they'd otherwise be using some kind of CGM so offering them the right one shouldn't be that much more. And they need no support.

Similarly for people already using a pump (presuming it's one that can be looped): they're being prescribed all the pump stuff and should be getting some CGM, so just give them the right CGM and the software. They'll need some support, but less so than people who aren't using a pump.

My consultant said it would be at least 12-18 months off, the timings vary. When I asked the omnipod rep she said that they don't know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back