looks like levemir starts tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Phoned the doctor, script is ready for collection so I'll be heading out ina bit to get it.

Just tried phoning the DSN's...I said to the admin lady "they should know who i am *laugh*" and she was like "Oh yes, we ALL know about you because you're always phoning up" 😱 no i am not 😱 i bet that nurse last week went back to their building shouting off cuz i turned up 'without an appointment' pfffft.

all i want to know about is what dose I need for tonight. I'm not holding my breath for a phone call to be honest, so I may as well be on my own with it!

I hope the levemir is better for you! 🙂

One thing to bear in mind is that it can take a couple of days for the lantus to clear out of your system, so don't be surprised if you go a little bit higher after a couple of days. When I switched from lantus to levemir, I took my lantus as normal on Thursday night, and then on Friday I took a half dose of levemir, and then the other half on Saturday morning. I'm not sure if this is what your DSN will suggest, and this is just what I was told to do, but I thought it might give you some idea if you don't get that phone call!

I switched a few weeks ago - I usually took my 9 units lantus at night so I took 5 units levemir that night then 5 units the next morning, as I'm splitting the levemir. I had three hypos that first morning though, depsite eating loads, so i think there was some overlap, so make sure you carry lots of food with you!

I've now ended up taking 6 levemir at dinner and 3.5 at breakfast, so I found I needed less during the day. Get some advice from your Dr or DSN on a starting dose before you change though, they shouldn't just leave you to experiment with doses!

DSN has just told me to have 16u at 9pm........

if there is a risk of hypos isn't that a bit much????

I am a tad scared....

I'd go with what your DSN has suggested. I think most people end up taking a bit more levemir than lantus, like Pidgeon has, so you're essentially starting on a lower dose and will work up.

I've just dug out my logs for when I changed, and I ran higher for the first couple of days, so I'd be prepared for either situation.

I'd go with what your DSN has suggested. I think most people end up taking a bit more levemir than lantus, like Pidgeon has, so you're essentially starting on a lower dose and will work up.

I've just dug out my logs for when I changed, and I ran higher for the first couple of days, so I'd be prepared for either situation.

Thanks randomange 🙂 ok, I'll give it a go, might take it a little bit later than usual - say 10pm as opposed to 9pm tonight, give the lantus a little time to bugger off.

I will be prepared for hypo's tomorrow too lol.

wait...what if i hypo in the night with it? I don't wake up with them often...

I am thinking the worst now. Maybe I'll do a 3am test just to make sure

That might be a good idea. I normally wake up with hypos, so don't set alarms to test, but lately I've been testing if I wake up in the night, just to get an idea what's happening. I remember that first levemir night I got a reading of 4.2 when I woke at 4am, so had some lucozade to stop it going any lower before morning.

Eek! Did it sting like Lantus? What level were you at before injection? Enquiring minds need to know!🙂

9.8 beforehand

it didn't sting at all. I just hurt myself with the needle as I was a bit nervous

currently at 7.2

I've been thinking of swapping to levemir for a while, but lantus works so well for me, even though I hate every injection because of the sting. Will be interested to see how you get on with it.

woke at 11am with a 3.7

set my alarm for 5 due to going to bed so late, but ended up swearing at it rather than waking up and checking ha!

woke at 11am with a 3.7

set my alarm for 5 due to going to bed so late, but ended up swearing at it rather than waking up and checking ha!

Oh, I know that feeling! I've also diligently set alarms to test during the night, and turned them off in my sleep!

Well at least you know the levemir is doing something I guess? 🙄 Hopefully over the next few days you'll be able to get a feel for how it's working for you. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back