Looking for anyone who has holidayed in Iceland with T1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirsc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am planning to book a holiday to Iceland soon for early 2025, but just looking for any advice or suggestions on this! How did you manage your levels, and how did you look after/store your equipment?

I am planning to book a holiday to Iceland soon for early 2025, but just looking for any advice or suggestions on this! How did you manage your levels, and how did you look after/store your equipment?

Sorry I can't help you with diabetic related stuff but Icelands a lovely place I went all way back in i 2012 in the summer i wasn't diabetic then. Although do you have a full case?

I haven’t been to Iceland but I can’t imagine it’s much different to anywhere else. Keep your equipment in hand luggage on the way then leave some in your hotel and take what you need with you out for the day. Manage levels as you would as home, making adjustments for any changes in diet and exercise whilst away.

I haven’t been to Iceland but I can’t imagine it’s much different to anywhere else.
I have (a few years ago now), and it's stunningly beautiful and alien looking. Also (during the winter) very cold (highs of just a few degrees and routinely below freezing). So insulation makes sense for insulin, to keep it warmer rather than colder. I don't remember worrying too much. I think when walking I just kept the current pen in an inside pocket (a bit closer to my body) to keep it warm.

Me and my type 1 have been to Iceland and experienced no issues.
If you want advice for the cold, you could probably look at suggestions for skiing.
When I have been in the cold, I keep insulin and my meter in an inside pocket to keep them warm.
Alcohol is very expensive so when I went drinking was not an issue.

Sorry I can't help you with diabetic related stuff but Icelands a lovely place I went all way back in i 2012 in the summer i wasn't diabetic then. Although do you have a full case?
Sorry ignore my comment about the firk case that's for keeping insulin cool not warm

I haven’t been to Iceland but I can’t imagine it’s much different to anywhere else. Keep your equipment in hand luggage on the way then leave some in your hotel and take what you need with you out for the day. Manage levels as you would as home, making adjustments for any changes in diet and exercise whilst away.
Thanks for your reply. It’s not the travelling with my equipment that’s my concern - it’s managing my levels in the cold temperatures.

I have (a few years ago now), and it's stunningly beautiful and alien looking. Also (during the winter) very cold (highs of just a few degrees and routinely below freezing). So insulation makes sense for insulin, to keep it warmer rather than colder. I don't remember worrying too much. I think when walking I just kept the current pen in an inside pocket (a bit closer to my body) to keep it warm.
Thank you. I was wondering about keeping it in some kind of bag that I can wear under my coat. I’ll lose it out of a pocket!

Me and my type 1 have been to Iceland and experienced no issues.
If you want advice for the cold, you could probably look at suggestions for skiing.
When I have been in the cold, I keep insulin and my meter in an inside pocket to keep them warm.
Alcohol is very expensive so when I went drinking was not an issue.
I was thinking about keeping them in some kind of bag that I can wear under my coat to keep it from freezing. I’ve had enough problems in this country when it’s been cold (I live in Scotland!) and my meter reader won’t work and my phone doesn’t like to talk to the Libre either!!

Thanks for your reply. It’s not the travelling with my equipment that’s my concern - it’s managing my levels in the cold temperatures.
I don’t think that would be any different to managing your diabetes here? Use your usual ratios and usual adjustments for corrections, exercise etc

I was thinking about keeping them in some kind of bag that I can wear under my coat to keep it from freezing. I’ve had enough problems in this country when it’s been cold (I live in Scotland!) and my meter reader won’t work and my phone doesn’t like to talk to the Libre either!!
Yes, that sounds sensible. I can imagine that being handy for me in this country (when I don't want to carry that much).

Runners belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back