Looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo2021

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Apologies but this is a bleak one - and quite a serious stage.
My partner has diabetes type 2 and has not managed well.
He is now in hospital with various complications, having lived with peripheral neuropathy for about 6 years after diagnosis. He was admitted with gangrene in a toe, and a silent heart attack. The hospital has diagnosed more.
Treatment to the heart (angiogram) is on hold as it may affect the kidneys. So there seems now to be a number if issues all of which impact the other.

I am at a loss to what to do especially since the hospital is not telling us and it is impossible to get hold of anyone.
If anyone has advice about the chance of treatment at this stage, which may include living on dialysis.
Is it possible to have some quality of life?

I'm afraid I can't offer advice about the prognosis - but what has been mentioned by several people is the poor choices of hospital food normally supplied for diabetics.
I just wondered if you were able to supply low carb foods for your partner to assist in keeping blood glucose levels in the normal range, or if, unusually, diet is being properly catered for.

@Echo2021 I can’t comment on the medical issues, but I do think you should be informed better. Have you asked to speak to the nurse in charge of the ward? Are you able to visit at all?

Hi @Echo2021, it may be worth trying the PALS service at the hospital which allegedly offers support to patients and families with health-related questions, problems and concerns. I say "allegedly" because they are sometimes difficult to run to earth. Having said that, when I spoke to them about my late mum's care while she was in hospital, they were extremely helpful. Worth a thought. I believe you can find your local PALS on the nhs website.
Best of luck, you have a lot on your plate.

If you can’t seem to get any decent answers from the ward Sister then I’d recommend contacting PALS at the hospital.
That’s the Patient Liaison Service and they act on behalf of patients or their family and can often basically knock heads together so that explanations/guidance/advice etc is given by the consultant to those who need to know what’s going on.

And I hope that whatever is wrong the treatment is quick, effective and brings a speedy recovery.

As for dialysis and quality of life all I can say is that I know two people who’ve spent many years on dialysis and both have incredibly full lives. So it’s perfectly possible to live a good life on dialysis.

Thank you all. I will get in touch with the PALS team. I didn't know about such a service. It is difficult to visit due to limitations currently. I had a totally different experience with my mother years ago when I had full information. The stories on this site are heartening in that so many people have managed well. I fear he (at 68) may be too advanced - but still good to know people have quality of life on dialysis and also that losing a toe is not the end.
I am just looking for cases where people have been able to carry on some form of life. I simply have no idea.

Hi Echo2021, welcome to the site.

So sorry t hear about what's happening with your husband. I agree that PALS may be your best bet and hopefully there'll be a number you can call which you can search for here https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/.

Please do feel free to give our helpline a call as they may be able to offer more insight. You can reach them on 0345 123 2399.

There's lots of support on this site so you're more than welcome to reach out at any time and ask as many questions as you need to.

I worked in a hospital with a lady in the clinical pathology department who had been on dialysis for several years waiting for a transplant. She was perfectly content with her life and marriage, never complained about anything apart from stupid doctors. Lost touch, but I expect she’s still complains about stupid doctors, but using some other poor unfortunate’s kidney.

Welcome to the forum @Echo2021

Sorry to hear about the multiple issues your partner faces, and the stress and difficulties those bring you both.

From my experience of reading others’ experiences on the forum, I would say it is never too late to try to make some sustainable positive changes to improve his blood glucose management.

On going complications can be slowed, and symptoms improved if he can gently steer his BG to be more stable and in-range.

Treatment for various complications is improving all the time too. So hopefully you can get some good news when you finally get an appointment. Not to have good information and support offered by his hospital clinic and GP is very poor IMO.

Does he get his regular annual check-ups?

.... and re quality of life, imagine my surprise 5-ish years ago on a campsite in the deepest Dordogne in our motorhome when chatting to the people smack opposite us in their caravan when I just went over to say hello and saw a massive sharps bin - more of a bucket really - and so said, blimey that's a big un and laughed - T2 diabetes, kidney damage with a portable home dialysis machine on board - hence the huge sharps bin - and PS - this was a naturist campsite and though yes he did have to spend X number of hours dialysing, it really didn't seem to restrict him unbearably or spoil their enjoyment of the holiday. Socially, he drank Diet Coke, chose sensibly lowish carb when we had communal meals from what I could see - but the main thing was of course, they were able to join in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back