Looking after your feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Since being diagnosed T2 fourteen year ago one of the first things we were told was
"you must look after your feet" so last year when I found I had an infected toenail
I asked to see a chiropodist.

After waiting 8 weeks or so I had an appointment and the chiropodist was very
non-committal and said 'well, it'll get better or it won't". "But I am diabetic"
"I don't know anything about diabetes" he said "come back if you have any problems".
So home I went wondering if I had made a fuss and needn't have bothered and being
rather surprised that I was sent to somebody who said he didn't know anything about
diabetes.

Well for a week or so now that toe, which didn't ever get better, has been
rather achey and the nail is rather blacker than it was. I thought it time to
get it looked at again and filled in the appropriate form which they obviously
received today as I had a telephone call this afternoon offering me an
appointment on Wednesday "because as I am diabetic it is counted as an
emergency".

I shall be interested in the outcome of my visit.

Just wondering if anybody else has any problems with chiropractors.

:confused:

Hi Jennie, very sorry to hear that you haven't been getting the proper care for your feet - sounds like you did exactly what you were supposed to do, but somehow ended up with the wrong person. Do you normally get your feet checked, either six-monthly or annually? Or just when you request it? I've only been diagnosed less than a year and have had two checks, one at my GP's by the practice nurse (who is trained to do the diabetic checks), and recently at the PCT's podiatry service (for some reason they're now called podiatrists rather than chiropodists!). Both were thorough checks for pulse and sensation, and a talk about whether nail surgery might be helpful on a toe that has bothered me since 1987! They also suggested thermal insoles as I have suffered from chilblains for the first time this winter - they have ordered them and will let me know when they come in.

I have, as you can see, had extremely good service - and I believe that everyone should have the same level of care. I hope that, on this visit, you will get that care and that the problem can be sorted out quickly. If it is not, then do press for better attention - complain if you are not happy, because your feet are very important!

The toe infection and blackened toe nail sound like a fungal infection. If you don't get any joy from the chiropodist go back to your doctor because there are things you can get for it.

With feet and diabetes, there are several things to keep in mind. I've never seen a chiropodist, and have managed several lost toe nails caused by running down hills, minor fungal infections etc over the years. Keeping blood glucose levels within normal limits pretty much prevents infections being any worse than in someone without diabetes. In the longer term, normal blood glucose levels make nerve damage far less likely. If you suspect bacterial infection (usually feels hot, looks red & swollen), then bathing feet in warm (not hot) salty water can help to relieve discomfort and treat infection. If your supect fungal infection (particularly between toes, usually feels itchy, skin looks red and flaky), then bathing feet, drying carefully and applying anti-fungal cream (ask pharmacist for advice) can help.
Hope you get better help from the next chiropodist / podiatrist (different names for same profession), but in the meantime, GP / practice nurse / pharmacist might be able to help.

Thank you for replies.

Yes Northerner I have always had my feet checked annually, usually at the same time as my eyes are done. First noticed my toenail was turning black at the edge just over a year ago and so hoped to stop it while still only a minor problem. I was given Loceryl Nail Lacquer which I applied for about 6 months - it made no difference whatever. The chiropodist said not to bother using it any more as it doesn't always work. Perhaps my toe infection would get better on it's own or perhaps it wouldn't - and I was sent away. I felt that I was making a fuss about nothing.

Copepod -my toe is not hot although it is a little bit swollen and the nail is just getting blacker, seems to be lifting away from my toe, is sort of dry and flaky and also aches when I have been walking. I will enquire about fungal cream.

I am hoping for some better advice at my appointment tomorrow.

good luck with that jennie let us know how you get on

Well thank goodness my chiropodist/podiatrist appointment went ok. A very nice young lady who seemed to know all about diabetes and foot related problems said my toenail was nothing serious but to make sure I dried my feet carefully after bathing (which I always do anyway) and anti-fungal cream could be used but was not essential.

She told me that the reason my toe is painful is the fact that the nail was lifting away from my toe and therefore probably pressing on my shoe. The best remedy for this, she said, was to cut the toenail off - which she did. Ouch!
It is rather sore at the moment but I am sure I will get used to it 😱

The only other remedy if things get worse is medication but this has quite bad side effects. I think I will leave that unless absolutely necessary!!!

Jennie - great to hear that you've got things sorted out, hope the toe is feeling better soon!🙂

hi jennie, glad you got it all sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back